Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Feedback on my second saber

Default Feedback on my second saber

So I am back to build my second saber. I did a sink tube saber a good while back and am ready to take it up a notch with an MHS saber this time.

I prepared this rendering in preparation. Now it may not be 100% mechanically accurate in the cutaways, but everything is to scale. The only thing missing from the drawing would be some detail on mounting the MR sound board. I am in the air about mounting it integral to the battery pack or on its own, perhaps in a film canister.

Anyway, please have a look and let me know what you think.

as far as i can tell your circuit looks fine. only thing im not sure on is the speaker. you have the positive coming right from the battery and the negative from the board.

now, your battery pack is packed with foam, but not your board. and that is important. you dont want any shorts. or especially components braking. but to pack it all in foam makes it harder to take out and switch batteries.

you could use a chasis. it is a sled for your electronic components. put them in it and slide it out from the saber.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Some MR boards use the positive from the battery, ak.

You don't have much space at all for the speaker to resonate. It would sound better, and louder if you did.

MR, and now Hasbro, got it wrong when they put the speaker at the end of the battery back right at the very end of the pommel. Some space in front of and a little behind the speaker will work wonders.

I don't know if you can work that into your design, with that set up, but try some experimenting and you'll see what I mean.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by astromech_kuhns View Post
    now, your battery pack is packed with foam, but not your board. and that is important. you dont want any shorts. or especially components braking. but to pack it all in foam makes it harder to take out and switch batteries.

you could use a chasis. it is a sled for your electronic components. put them in it and slide it out from the saber.
    I agree 100%. I am still hammering out the details of mounting the board. I am leaning towards the sled idea as I have no recharge port and sliding out one assembly to change the batteries seems best. I will work on that today. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Some MR boards use the positive from the battery, ak.

You don't have much space at all for the speaker to resonate. It would sound better, and louder if you did.

MR, and now Hasbro, got it wrong when they put the speaker at the end of the battery back right at the very end of the pommel. Some space in front of and a little behind the speaker will work wonders.

I don't know if you can work that into your design, with that set up, but try some experimenting and you'll see what I mean.
    Great, thats good to know. I may be able to mount the board on top of the battery holder. This should let me move the whole assembly up a good ways and allow some space for the speaker to resonate. If all goes well the battery pack should become a nice chassis to build off of.

I will work on creating Version 2.1 today. Thanks!
    Last edited by gsterley; 11-20-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

The wiring is perfect. No need to put the board into a chassis unless you want to. Just a poly-C sleeve or heatshrink on the board will be perfectly fine.
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

One thing I notice: The speaker mount does not fit "into" the pommel like you pictured. If you are using the TCSS speaker mount, the pommel sandwhiches it to the hilt at the bottom of the threads. So this may not work lengthwise with your design. UNLESS, you mount the sound board onto the battery pack, which I would only recommend if it is a permanant/rechargable battery set-up.

Also as a suggestion, don't rigidly affix your clash sensor anywhere, it makes it less sensitive. I usually solder it inline with the main LED leads and let it hang out in the choke. This way it gets maximum impact registration from blade vibrations.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thanks so much, I would have never thought about the inside diameter of the threaded portion of the pommel getting in the way. I guess that takes care of some of the resonance concern.

Because of pommel/speaker situation I decided to stack the board on the battery pack. I really had no other option due to space. (It will of course be covered in non-conductive material when its all said and done)

It was said that "Most sound boards can be stacked on top of the battery holder" in the product description of the MHS speaker mount v3. Since I do not have my Vader board here just yet, and I am unable to find a definitive answer as to the thickness of that Vader board. I am going to keep my fingers crossed for now, and hope that it fits.

Please see the latest revision and keep me posted if anything throws up a red flag.

I doubt you'll be able to get the MR board to sit on top of the battery solution, they are quite wide.

For this saber I would go with the 4 cell power solution tim sells, have the MR board in front of that and then the switch.

Otherwise, like the design would have pommel 4 personally.
    Last edited by Invisas1979; 11-21-2009 at 08:52 AM.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Man, that saber looks familiar:

Nice design!

I managed to do a simlar battery/soundboard set up in that saber, but I used an Ultrasound 2.1 instead of the MR. The MR board's are 1" wide, just like an Ultrasound, so it may fit on top of the battery holder just fine, so long as it isn't too tall. The transistors on the board may not clear the sidewalls of the hilt.
    Last edited by Jay-gon Jinn; 11-21-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

2" wide? That's gotta be a typo, since the OD of most sabers is around 1.5".
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!