Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Luke ANH Conversion

I finished a conversion yesterday and did not need any sort of blade holder or anything to hold the heatsink like what jay gon shows in the fx sabers thread. A blade from ultrasabers fits very tight and almost does not even need a screw even for dueling. I did however have difficulty attaching the lens holder to the LED, had to cut off some of the bottom to make it fit (though it doesn't fit that tight).

I am the Sasuke.

I bet 5 bucks that your conversion will break some day if you didn't use TCSS/any other metal blade holder.

Thats why there isn't one. Those sabers are quite weak... even compared to other stock FX's.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I dueled with it before it got converted and I didn't break anything so I don't see why that would change now. Also it should be noted that the blade I'm using is from a friend and it is a standard 1 inch blade from ultrasabers, but for some reason the bottom of it is somewhat sanded so it fits perfectly in my saber. Guess I just lucked out with it

I am the Sasuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafalema View Post
    I bet 5 bucks that your conversion will break some day if you didn't use TCSS/any other metal blade holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    Thats why there isn't one. Those sabers are quite weak... even compared to other stock FX's.
    It's not really because that the saber is weak, it's that the design of the blade holder for that one would be too cost prohibitive for Tim to produce it. It's been asked about before, and Tim simply says "It ain't gonna happen."

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Apologies if I already said this, but I have found that the Darth Maul conversion kit can be used for certain sabers for which no kit exists. It has thinner walls than most kits, and is a simple tube, so it's pretty versatile. I've used it in a Luke ESB and a Construction Set.
    There's always a bigger fish.

I've almost completed my Luke ANH conversion, except i think the heatsink that i'm using is too big to fit inside. I'm using this heatsink, being the only one in stock at the time i ordered my parts, whereas the tutorials all show this heatsink. obviously i can't put another order in just for the heatsink, so is this part exclusive to TCSS, or can it be picked up from say, maplins?
    should i just use copper pennys to make a heatsink?
    Last edited by galen marek; 08-17-2010 at 07:01 AM.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The heat sinks are specially made, you can't just "pick one up" at a hardware store.

You could make one, but it will need to be the right dimensions so that you can secure it inside the hilt. I don't know the dimensions of the one in the second link, maybe someone else can tell you what it is.

I have also heard of people using copper end caps for pipes as heat sinks. Find one that fits inside your hilt.

Here's a quote from a PVC saber thread, for example:

Quote Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
    Guys, little trick for stunts that have a 1" ID. A 3/4" copper pipe cap will hold PERFECTLY an LED star and optics assembly AND act as a heatsink. Simply drill two holes in the bottom to feed your wires through and you've got a great little module.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    The heat sinks are specially made, you can't just "pick one up" at a hardware store.

You could make one, but it will need to be the right dimensions so that you can secure it inside the hilt. I don't know the dimensions of the one in the second link, maybe someone else can tell you what it is.

I have also heard of people using copper end caps for pipes as heat sinks. Find one that fits inside your hilt.

Here's a quote from a PVC saber thread, for example:
    That's a really smart idea. I like that. I might give that a shot.

thanks j-lo, Much appreciated. now hopefully i can finish this thing and clear all the junk off my desk.

TCSS Resident Annoyance
    NOOBS: Don't be annoying, thats my job, GO HERE