Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sound Test

Sunrider... my only experiments (on another thread somewhere) with 2 speakers in the same hilt were... mmm... less than gratifying.

In general, I found the primary problem to be the fact that you can't put much distance between the two speakers... and therefore, the extra speaker is redundant/useless.

Sort of like... if you put a pair of desktop speakers RIGHT (and I mean right) next to one another--like let's say you taped them together, lol. The sound isn't any "better"... in fact... it might as well be one speaker.

BUT. This doesn't account for YOUR idea, Sun... in other words--having essentially a "tweeter" speaker and then a "woofer". Additionally, the right distances/spaces/holes could be made for EACH speaker... which could increase the overall sound clarity.

Granted... this is going "a little far" for an LED saber prop, but hey... innovation is innovation, and if some sweet dual-speaker setup was eventually made... great!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

sunrider is right, if you separate audio range / spectrum for each speaker, it's not like they are in // all the time, and the overall impedance remain high, closer to 8 ohm rather than 4 ohm. However, impedance will drop a bit if the 2 spectral domains have a common part. It's about an average load in anycase, the current audio amp will support to have impedance change for a short time if the freq domain generate the situation.
    Now we're getting in the question of using passive filters to separate the signal for the boomer and the tweeter.

what about a main speaker with a tiny piezo (for the high freq) one in front of it, with the proper spectrum split. Sure, the front piezo will cover the back speaker but the long wavelenght might still be able to travel in the resonnant chamber, no ?
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Hmmm sounds like a good idea. I wonder if they make a tweeter that small that would fit the application? I'll have to look around. Initially I was thinking that since the center of a saber is typically stuffed with electronics (therefore killing the rear resonance) you could put a speaker on ether end of the spaghetti & meatballs. But, seeing as how some people have testified to the rear chamber sounding good at low tones & the performance of the tubes in the test it sounds like one should make a path & vent of some sort for a length behind the speaker.

Thanks for the input guys

Sent you a PM, Sunrider! And indeed Erv... it makes a LOT of sense that if two speakers are used... different sized "res chambers" could be utilized.

Great idea, Sunrider! I hope it works, that's all.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I have some piezo micro speaker that must test at work
    will keep you posted
    Erv'
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com