Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ever use your saber as a flashlight?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I have a news flash for you folks...they ARE friggin' flashlights!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    I have a news flash for you folks...they ARE friggin' flashlights!
    =( =/ =(
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

I've used my Luxeon V blue direct drive saber many many times to create light so that I could see everything.

The added benefit of the Lux V blue/royal blues is that they make pastel/neon colored items BRIGHT AS HECK!

Try it. Like... grab a bunch of those colored marking pens... pink, yellow, orange... or even post-it notes. Wait til' it's dark. Go freaky Friday on 'em, and not only will you have some CRAZY light... you'll illuminate the heck out of those items.

Additionally, I've used my Lux V blue saber to read super faint "imprinting" on things like microchips (yes, even CF!!) and the like. Faint text stands out like a sore thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    When the power goes out, forget leaving the blade behind, I just carry mine around and use it as a lantern!

If it's one of those security jobs where you get to carry a tonfa... Well, A TCSS Tonfa adapter and a nice stubby thick-wall blade would probably work pretty well as an actual tonfa!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Hm. I've got a royal blue LED 'round here somewhere. I'll have to try that one.

And I suppose I should come clean. A couple months ago during a fairly widespread power outage after a major storm, my brother and I went out at night to determine how far it went. And we walked. And we had lightsabers, both to see things and to ensure those folks out on bikes and in cars didn't run into us. People thought those were the coolest thing ever, but refused to believe me when I said I had built them.

i use them all the time when the power is out to witch happens here all the time kinda why i wanted a white k2 =P

i allways make sure to tell my wife that my lightsabers do have there place in our house lol her main complaint is about the sound but ehh one day i will put a kill switch on one of my sabers

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Quote Originally Posted by thejedilestat View Post
    ehh one day i will put a kill switch on one of my sabers
    So you can't turn your saber off right now?
    You should probably get on that.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post

So you can't turn your saber off right now?
    You should probably get on that.
    lol...that would be funny, an always on saber... no, he means he wants a kill switch to disable the sound but allow the LED to be powered.
    So I guess he is direct driving the LED and just wants to cut power to the sound board.
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You can just use a switch on the speaker itself too. That way you will still have the card driving the LED.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Better yet, a quick-disconnect on the speaker. Sure, a switch may sound better, but--unless it's a really tiny one, a q/d is better. Well... unless you have plenty of space in your saber. I never do.

But yeah, another thing--I've noticed that sabers are MUCH better as overall "torches" (with the blade installed) versus flashlights. I mean... I've never really liked flashlights ANYhow. They don't flood the light out the way I'd prefer.

To me, an ideal "flashlight" would be a Luxeon V with no optics. That's just me. My preference. I like an aerial switch and brandy, that's just how I am...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I built one from leftover parts I had around specifically for that purpose. A bright P4 white LED with a recharge port. Best idea ever.