Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hi! Just set up my first MHS.

I like the weathering you did on the saber. I've always been hesitant to do weathering on props for fear it wouldn't look right.

Good job!
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

Both sorrow and joy today.

Joy: The neck came, it looks like I got the last one in stock for the time being as it's out now. I'll do pictures of it tonight after I weather it... it's amazing looking and really completes the design of this saber. It sort of makes everything beyond it feel like a powerful emitter.

Sorrow: I cut down my retention screw and started a chain reaction that destroyed both the emitter and the blade. The cut down screw screwed in properly but cut outward strangely and made a little bit of metal push into the emitter... these burrs in turn caught on the blade when I popped it in, became embedded in the plastic, and then cut up the inside of the emitter while in the plastic.

I was probably going to get a thinner blade to see what it was like anyway, so this one will be cut down as sanding it will make it fit very poorly in the emitter. The emitter I'm more bummed about... I shouldn't have messed with any metal parts with limited metal working tools. Oh well. I'll get a replacement emitter, and that'll be that.

Still, the design really works for me. I'm pretty pleased with that aspect, and looking forward to improving and adding on to it.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Wow. What did you cut down the screw with? I use a Dremel and make sure to smooth off the end of the screw nicely.

Did you screw it into the blade holder first, to check if it went in smoothly? I'm wondering if you had a sharp leading edge on the screw thread, which caught and tried to re-cut the thread in the blade holder.

I'll bet you won't do that again.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Sorry to here about the sscrew dude!!

Was just going to say what a fantastic first saber! Still, a small setback to a great first saber.

Reminds me of the apprentice sabers in the Legacy comics:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/st.../CadeShado.jpg

If you can post a full hilt pic once you have the new emitter & the weathering, that'd be great!
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Even more so, if it were hilt style 2, instead of 3.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Even more so, if it were hilt style 2, instead of 3.
    Well, i'm sure we can allow some artistic license (miss Duursema does in every issue )
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

lol

Yeah, what's up with those comic book artists? Do they just love driving costumers and saber builders crazy with their inconsistencies?
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Wow. What did you cut down the screw with? I use a Dremel and make sure to smooth off the end of the screw nicely.

Did you screw it into the blade holder first, to check if it went in smoothly? I'm wondering if you had a sharp leading edge on the screw thread, which caught and tried to re-cut the thread in the blade holder.

I'll bet you won't do that again.
    That's exactly what happened. I screwed it in but didn't realize that it hadn't been perfectly smooth... I had cut the screw down with a small hack saw and I thought I'd filed it pretty well, but looking at it again after showed that one of the threads had become razer sharp. So sharp in fact that it cut a really nice burr and spit that out the other end.

Honestly, I should have paid more attention, so when I slid in the blade I didn't even really notice until I had more resistance than I'd expected with it coming back out. When it came out, the burr had been embedded in the plastic and the damage was done to the inside of the emitter.

A-yup, won't do that again. Oh well, mistakes do happen, especially with new hobbies. At least the blade can be cut down and salvaged.

It really looks like I wanted it to look like. Once the new emitter is on, it'll look identical but with a red thumbscrew instead (in the right size this time).
    Last edited by Mercuttio; 11-14-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Hey man good job on the weathering.

Bit of a set back. You shouldn't need to get a new emmiter though, if the inside of the blade holder has a burr just take a bit of sand paper to the inside. Cut the blade down a tounch and it'll all fit back again.

Get a couple diff grades of paper one fine on rough.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"