Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sanded blades and duel durability

Council Member
    Jedi Master

IMO, sanding the inside still leaves the problem of glare from the outside of the tube which makes it easy to get a washed out look from outside light sources. Sanding both IMO again will just diffuse too much, causing a loss of brightness. But, to each his own.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Master

all my blades are sanded with 2 grits of sandpaper.
    it really helps with the "light in a tube" effect and producing a nice retraction effect. And as was stated if it gets scuffed, i sand it again.

you can actually get slightly different effects depending on how you sand it. around the diameter, along the length, at an angle. it's fun to play with.

and producing a nice retraction effect
    retraction effect?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Master

yeah, only on boards or drivers that support the dimming/retraction effect.

Doesn't really add a whole lot to the experience though

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

In the past I've tried sanding the inside of a thinwalled 1" blade using a piece of sandpaper on a dowel, spun about with a hand drill.
    I got to sand part of it, but it just wasn't enough. For someone who doesn't have a sandblaster, would putting some sand in the tube and just using an air compresser to blow the sand around produce a comparable effect?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

It would take a long time.

You would put some sand in, then blow it out. Put more sand in, blow it out. Repeat. For probably around two hours. If you have the end of the blade capped, the sand will probably just spray in your face (which it might do in any case!)

If you already have an air compressor, all you need is like a $20 sand blast attachment from harbor freight.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

What about capping off both ends, leaving just a small hole for the excess air to escape?

At the moment, I'm unemployed, and $20 for something that I may only use once is more than I can afford.

Unless I can find a multitude of uses for it. Can't a sand blasting gun be used for media blasting something in the same manner that Tim offers as a service?
    The added options of that might be enough to make it worth an investment.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Since the sandblasting I've done is normally around 90 psi, I tend to think any hole big enough for air to go through is big enough for sand to go through (actually it's not "sand," it's a sort of glass bead, and it's extremely finely grained). I don't think using less psi would work, it wouldn't be strong enough to make an impact on the polycarbonate. Once when my air compressor was broken, I put tape on both ends of the tube and a decent amount of sand inside, shook it around like a rain stick. Nothing happened: the sand made no impact on the polycarbonate, at least not noticeably.

As for using the gun for media blasting: I don't know, because I haven't tried. I don't have a box or anything to do it in, and I don't want all that sand flying back into my face.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Well, my dad's picking up a new blasting gun from Harbor Freight and some glass media.

Turns out we did have a gun, but were missing the tank/bag.

We'll see how this turns out.
    -Benjamin Franklin

How long should I be sand blasting this for?
    Until desired effect is achieved?
    -Benjamin Franklin