Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxeon V

Whoops - yeah you did say 6v, and I ordered a 9v connector.. great. [:I] I figured that 9v was right since I'm almost certain the Ultra Saber S5 is configured that way (not sure about it's resistor though). So forgive my ignorance here - what constitutes as a 6v package, and what would be the best configuration for me to use for the best light output?

6v... so the ideal thing for the MHS would be to run the LuxV straight off the 4AAA pack?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Well, it wouldn't be ideal... it'd still be brighter than a 3W and work but it wouldn't be the max. 6V is sligthly below the 6.84 forward voltage.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Looking at Ultrasabers Website, a 9v is powering the S5. Obviously it must have a resistor or something.. I want my Luxeon 5 bright!.. and safe too. []

The color changing disc saber I got from Ultra is using a Luxeon 5 White led and he's got it using one 9 volt battery. It runs great for me. I'm not sure if he has a resistor in there or not but I'll check to see.
    Also, does anyone have any ideas on ways to run a sound module using the Luxeon V without frying it? At first I thought if the hilt had room I might try running the sound module off of a completely different set of batteries ... not sure if that would work ... what do you guys think?

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

I checked and noticed he is running them off of one 9v battery. For running them off a 9v source you should use a 3.3ohm 2w resistor. But you could use the 2.2ohm 5w I sell and you would just be slightly overdriving it.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jedibum

The color changing disc saber I got from Ultra is using a Luxeon 5 White led and he's got it using one 9 volt battery. It runs great for me. I'm not sure if he has a resistor in there or not but I'll check to see.
    Also, does anyone have any ideas on ways to run a sound module using the Luxeon V without frying it? At first I thought if the hilt had room I might try running the sound module off of a completely different set of batteries ... not sure if that would work ... what do you guys think?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, I do.[] Get two micropucks (or a boost version of the buckpuck) drivers and run them in the boost mode. You can actually use less than the needed voltage say 6V or the original 4.5 of the MR and light up the 5W. Then you can hook an MR board straight to the batteries.[]

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Strydur, I'm now using a dual 9v setup wired in parallel using a 2.2ohm 5w resistor (the same ones sold here) and the ribbed extension for better thermal dissipation. I would reccomend that setup as it seems to work very well. Mi Ginn Gon has one of my latest S5's and it seems do do ok for him.

http://www.ultrasabers.com
    Corbin|Strydur|Ultra
    The Holy Luxeon Trinity

What about if I used an extension tube, rather than the ribbed section? Would that be alright?

I bet the battery life for a 5 watt will be somewhere in between the blink of an eye, and the time it takes for X-wing to ramble his fight scene opening monolog.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life