Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Silent Jedi's costume

Believe me folks, I'm not bashing J-Lo for being a Cos Nazi, not in the slightest.

I was just making a point that unless you are striving to join a VERY SERIOUS group of players, then work within your physical limitations, with or without optics, as you can.

And the edited word was aimed at a twit from NYC, not J-Loreen in any way. I hope that made itself clear enough but ifit should not, forgive the direction of the flak.

Wow..didn't intend for this thread to turn out this way :P. But I shall move it along away from the bad vibes...

The tabard, pants and shirt (a sidebuttoned like Luke's from ROTJ) are in charcoal grey. The shirt was made when I was 70 pounds heavier, so it kinda sagged on me, which is why you saw my t-shirt under. I plan on having another shirt done to fit better.

The boots I ordered won't be in for quite some time, but thought about also buying the replica boots that are coming out soon...

I also have a set where the tabards and pants are in hunter green and the undertunic is a brown robe, but not a fan of it opening up, lol.

I'll ofcorse not have my glasses on when I get the picture taken, however I am nearsighted and cringe at the idea of putting in contacts.

The "toon" I was heading torwards is a jedi profession known as "Jedi Shadow". Jedi that seek out and eliminate focal points of the dark side before it goes out of hand. Figured that grey is an earthtone of sorts.

"Absolutely not. You're not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke's."
    ―Corran Horn, to Tahiri Veila

That last bit about the focal points of the dark side is a good story, you should include it in your submission text.

Bad vibes or good vibes (gray vibes? ) aside, J-Lo's comments come directly from recent mandates and/or strong suggestions from the Legion Costume Judges regarding generic Jedi submissions. If your T-shirt is showing, your application will be rejected. If you are wearing glasses, IIRC it will be politely suggested that you remove them and retake your submission photos.

I'll chime in and say that your Jedi costume is better than the vast majority of Jedi costumes that the average Star Wars fan has put together, and you'll probably get approved with some tweaks that J-Lo has already suggested. I'd further add this. Gray tabbards are technically within the color guidelines for Old Republic Jedi, and your covertec clip puts you in that category. But your costume really says New Republic to me. I'd look into a D-ring and "big buckle" to make this a New Repub Jedi, I think it is a better fit for what you're rocking in that photo.

If you like your belt and covertec and want to go Old Republic, I suggest you redo the tabbards. Everything else about your costume works for an OR Jedi but three changes in the tabbards would clinch it. First, make them as close in color to outer tunic as possible. This is not technically necessary, but IMO it would make for a more harmonious match and deflect potential questions about your color choices. Second, shorten the length. Your tunic is already quite long, so if I were you I'd make the tabbards come perhaps 1 inch below the tunic hem. Finally, introduce a dart in the tunics so that the ends lay parallel instead of crossing below your Obi. This will be the path of least resistance. The quick and easy path, so to speak.

I was really going for a OR type of character. The Tabbards are actually shorter...I just kept adjusting them. They come about equal to the length of the overtunic, but I did like how they hung. I do have three leather pouches on my belt, they are really rifle bullet pouches I got from a Bass Pro Shop and I adjusted to thread through the belt. I do have plans on making a few capsules as well.

I'm not a fan of the D-ring. I made one saber with one on it and used two different hooks. The short one (like the ones sold in the CCS) was a quick draw, but would fall off if it rocked too hard. The long hook was secure, but would get caught up on the ring...so I'll stick with the Covertek.

I had read the submission rules for the costume some time ago, and didn't intend for that photo to be the one I submitted...It says that I'd have to be with a neutral background behind me. As soon as I can get the last bits together (really wanting those replica boots) I'll submit the photo and display it here.

"Absolutely not. You're not going to the dark side on my watch. Do it on Luke's."
    ―Corran Horn, to Tahiri Veila

Yours looks better than my 1st Jedi costume. Here's a pic...lol (I'm on the left side):

The costuming groups can be tough to get into. I'm not sure about the RL but with the 501st it is very challenging to get your foot in the door. I did about 6 months of research sourcing materials and different components for my Anakin costume and it was about 1 year in the making. Some of the costumes like Boba Fett and Vader take a couple of years to get all the accurate parts. It was definitely worth it though, they are a great group of people and we have lots of fun. We get to do and see things that regular fans would never get the opportunity for. Here is my Anakin:

Contacts aren't that bad. Here is a pic of my special contacts for my Anakin:

And a little pic for advice on how to design tabs to hang correctly:
    Last edited by Darth Securis; 11-24-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Mike Spurgeon SL-3412 Star Garrison

"The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."