Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tritium light for crystal

Default tritium light for crystal

if you want your crystal to glow, consider using a tritium keychain. They're available in a number of colors and are very small.

From what I understand, they're not dangerous though they are radioactive. They emit a glow and will do so for a number of years (10 to 20).

Despite their alleged safety, I'm not able to find any on-line retailers who sells them.

I just think it would be cool to have a glowing crystal core for someone's saber.

thanks for reading!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Why not just use a LED? That's what I did on Spectra. Basically everyone uses LEDs for them since they are small and easy to fit in.

Why reinvent the wheel comes to mind
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

spares your battery any more drain?

I dunno, just an artistic suggestion. Some people I've heard use acrylic aquarium jewels for their crystal. Just thought it would be cool to glow without the aid of batteries.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is a cool idea. saves wiring too.

Radioactive is a problem though...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I think that the drain is pretty nominal... I have a 7.2V 1100mAh Li Ion battery pack in that saber, and the crystal chamber LED is a prolight RGB. I still get 1.5+ hours of run time with it, which is all I really need for a single stretch.

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Tritium is highly regulated. Not nearly as bright as people may want too. It's used a lot for gun sights. It'll also "die" in a few years (less than a decade).
    RED LEADER Standing by!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I recall hearing something that said that it is the most expensive legally traded item in the world, per gram. X is right, it's used for military gun sights so that they can be seen in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by a fearsome grue View Post
    Despite their alleged safety, I'm not able to find any on-line retailers who sells them.
    I hope you meant online wholesalers, not retailers. I just Googled tritium keychains and found plenty of online retailers that are selling them.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You're also really limited on colors.

Green and "white"? Not sure how they get that, unless they heavily dope it with other chemicals like that have to do to phosphorous to get white EL wire and film.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

cool, but i personally would make sure to fine one that last awhile... but the radioactive part scares me haha