Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dualable Crystal Chamber

RRingy Dingyy we have a winner!

It is the rose variety. It diffuses the beam pretty good. For a common stone it was difficult to find a decent 1 in sphere.

Wow, that's some really impressive and innovative work for a first saber. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

I understand Sunrider. Good crystals can be hard to find if you don't know where to look, so for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested, here are some places to try.

1 inch spheres are pretty common on Ebay, but I hate buying stones without seeing them in person. Museums and community centers will hold mineral shows where you can usually buy specimens, although they tend to be more expensive than they are worth at those events. Even when the museums aren't holding shows, their gift stores will always carry them, but again the prices will be very high. In my city we have a spiritual/new age store, and although I can't stand the kinds of people I find there they do tend to have cheap quarts pieces for sale. Stores like this will buy them in bulk from overseas, so they are the same stones that you can find on ebay but at least in the store you can sort through their stock until you find the one that suits your needs. If you don't have a store like this near you, check your newspaper's local events calender for renaissance and medieval fairs or psychic conventions. Cheap specimens can always be found here. Science and education stores in your local mall can be a good place to look also. Wherever you go to look, take a laser or a small LED flashlight with you so you can see what the stones look like illuminated before you buy.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Good tips, TimeRender.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

LOL Thanks Timerender. I know what you mean about the people around the crystals. I've had some people mention auras & the healing powers of the crystals when I go in the store. Don't quite know what to say. Too bad I wasn't
    building sabers when I lived in the CA bay area there are 100X more crystal shops there than here in Texas.

Oh and if you couldn't tell in the pics I filed grooves in the chamber tube to keep the holder from rotating in the cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    LOL Thanks Timerender. I know what you mean about the people around the crystals. I've had some people mention auras & the healing powers of the crystals when I go in the store. Don't quite know what to say. Too bad I wasn't
    building sabers when I lived in the CA bay area there are 100X more crystal shops there than here in Texas.

Oh and if you couldn't tell in the pics I filed grooves in the chamber tube to keep the holder from rotating in the cylinder.
    I can attest to that, personally I prefer uncut stones that follow the natural crystiline structure as opposed to cut pieces, makes it harder to find the right piece but IMO it's worth it.

Good place to try is at the discovery stores that are in alot of malls, they sell both uncut and polished minerals, also giftshops pretty much anywhere have a decent chance of having one of those barrels of interesting rocks to buy.

Did you get Tim to machine the tube or did you do that yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by bakourage View Post
    Did you get Tim to machine the tube or did you do that yourself?
    If you mean the slotted holes see link above. If you mean the rest I used a dremel to make the holes bigger and filed grooves for the brass square stock to slide in. Then I used the dremel to make channels for snap rings to hold it in place.

See post on (air cooled SSR90 with crystal chamber) for more pics.

Oh thats really cool. It looks like a nice lightsaber.