Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Helpful advice to the self-proclaimed "n00bs"

Quote Originally Posted by Borax View Post
    YAY fender Everything said is exactly right.

my story is so close to fenders. I found this site. started reading, For over a year!. got an idea. read for 6 more months, looked at every wiring diagram i could find. then without having asked a single question (because i found every answer i ever needed in the forums) I created an account and posted my first saber.

We say these things not to be mean or talk down to anyone, its just trying to get people to understand that we MEAN IT when it is said that the answer to every tiny little question and major ones is here someone in the threads. you just have to put the time and effort into looking for it. and yes at times you will be frustrated when it takes forever to dig it out of the archives, but its worth it in the end. happy hunting to all !

And If you do not believe him.... Look Here!
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Talking I'm as noob as noob gets!

Ok well unlike most of the people here apparently, I found this site today, was blown away because it scratched right where I itched, and immediately signed up! This is actually my second post haha. My first one was in a thread for artists and I posted a few of my art pieces. Anywho, Tyhm's threads and questions links... that's brilliant! Thank you!

I built a lightsaber hilt about a month ago out of a bunch of stuff I bought at Lowe's, and I think it turned out nice and I really like it, but it's still just not quite the level of quality I ulitimately want. I'll probably eventually buy one of those glass cases for emergencies to put it in and have it say "Break Glass In Case of Sith Invasion" and hang it on my wall. I have plenty of windowshopping to do before I commit to buying parts for a new saber, so I'll be doing a lot of reading and learning in the meantime.

I hope I'm well accepted. From what I've read thus far, this forum can be kind of a 'Thunderdome' of sorts. Getting flamed left and right and every man for himself. I guess we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    I'll probably eventually buy one of those glass cases for emergencies to put it in and have it say "Break Glass In Case of Sith Invasion" and hang it on my wall.
    HAHA! Thats brilliant!
    Now I need to go find a saber to do that with

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
    Anywho, Tyhm's threads and questions links... that's brilliant! Thank you!
    Haha, I have a fan following now?

Far be it from me to turn down support, but in fairness I think you may have me confused for those I repost; my sig links were written by people far clevererer (Hi J-Lo!) than I, I just campaign for their officiality (Hi again! I'm makin' up words!)
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
    (Hi again! I'm makin' up words!)
    You've failed me for the last time!

Here's a question: Is it bad that I don't want my first saber to be crappy and am really interested in his highnessness Lord Dottore Matto's ROTJ V3 saber and want to pick his brain about the details of the build? Not sure that's allowed, and judging from his profile pic, one could assume he has four arms, each of which are clutching four fully functional lightsabers. A bad position for myself, considering I haven't build a single fully functional lightsaber as of yet and he would have me at a slight disadvantage were he to judge my inquiries a smiting offense.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LDM is usually great in sharing info on his sabers. Heck, every saber thread he posts has a couple dozen build pics.

The problem with what you want to do is the enormous amount or difficulty there is the build a ROTJ V3.

If you want my advice, I would start simple. Figure out whether you want to build a Sinktube or MHS saber. Then get a design you really love. It takes me several days before I stop tweaking a design and am satisfied with it. It is key to a good looking saber.

After you are LOVING your "render", then take your time in you build. I've seen so many sabers where you can tell it is a rush job. If you take your time, I warrant that your first saber will turn out great.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

I thing CC is right here. A Luke V3 is pretty difficult.

I am still working on my first saber. It is a modified MHS saber. I am taking my time in making it and think it will turn out good.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ad.php?t=10810

I does take patience to start with a saber with all the bells & whistles as problems will arise, but it can be done. Don't rush a build. You cant spend too much time planning a (nice) saber as a beginner.

Whats so hard about a Luke V3?
    Luke V1 + graflex Clamp

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Oh wow, Sunrider, you're in Mckinney, I'm in Rowlett! That's neat. We should go to the local cantina and grab a juma juice sometime.

Get to saber makin and we'll duel it up.