Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Helpful advice to the self-proclaimed "n00bs"

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Default Helpful advice to the self-proclaimed "n00bs"

This is a PM that I sent to a self-proclaimed "noob" that got flamed - didn't learn - asked again - got flamed again...

He hasn't asked any silly questions in a while... and seems to have slipped out of n00bery...

------------------

I noticed that you've been asking a lot of questions. And there's nothing wrong with having questions, needing answers to those questions, and seeking them out.

I'm a teacher - so I really, REALLY understand what it's like when you want to know something... but seemingly have no way to find the answers that you want.

And if I may, I have a few suggestions for you. These are a few techniques to help seek out those answers that you want, but also finding them on your own. Is that cool? I don't mean any offense, but this might prevent further flamings from some of the other members...

- Have a clear idea of what you want to know - and phrase it as consisely as you can. There's common terminology that most everyone knows, but getting more familiar with the terms will help you relay your questions better.

- Look in the proper forum category. The more familiar you are with what's in those categories, the better and more precisely you can search through threads that may contain your answer.

- Take time to read. Along the same lines as the above bullet, just read without any agenda, just to see what's out there. If you're looking for something specific, and can't find it, you'll get frustrated, impatient and eventually just post a question that may anger someone who's answered it dozens of times.

If you use your reading time to simply explore the forum, you'll find answers to questions that you don't have yet... you'll find references to parts that you don't need yet... you might even find a cool tutorial for something you're not ready to do - yet.

My point is - as a reference, these forums are a wonderful source of knowledge.... but as a teacher or instructor, not quite so accomodating. If you don't expect people to do the work for you, you'll find that they're more pleasant to deal with... and, more importantly, you won't need them as a crutch to answer your questions anymore. Do you see what I mean?

I hope this offers a different perspective for you. Maybe it's all that you need to start "Doing-it-yourself"! Regardless, happy researching and good luck with your projects!

eastern57

-------------------------------

Council Member
    Jedi Master

If I may offer another piece of advice, set up a new bookmark folder. Whenever you find an answer you were looking for, or something you think you'll need in the future, bookmark it with key words in the description. It will make things easier to find later. I have a whole folder full of sabery goodness, all organized by topic.

Great outlook eastern. I am positive that all forum members will learn from this, not just n00blets. Good Work.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

As a n00b I feel the abovestated's pain; when you first get here it's hard to even know What you want. I mean, it's easy to say "So I got this lightsaber at a yard sale and it like, fell in a pool or something, the sparky bits are shot, so uh, I wanna like, make it light up again...oh, and if I could make it bright orange like my character on KotoR...and your light sabers look really cool, but like, what do I need?"
    And so they dive headfirst into a world of tutorials telling them how to make one from scratch, with instructions to solder this and heatsink that and drill here...
    It can be overwhelming. I've done a little bit of electronics before so I can keep up to some extent with potentiometers and multimeters and soldering, but if you don't even own a soldering iron (don't get me started on guns!), it's a tough and expensive slog to making your first saber.
    Small wonder so many wind up soliciting someone else to do it; if you're only making one ever it probably is (or at least Appears) cheaper to have someone else use Their lead wires, solder, soldering iron, heatshrink, heatgun, drill, tap kit, etc...and I wouldn't want to see the retention numbers on visitors that browse the shop for 10 minutes and never bother registering as n00bs in the first place. It's a communications issue mostly...

That is some of the best advice I've read in a while: the reading just to read.

So often we're just so impatient to get what we want we don't admire the scenery, or stop for the unexpected along the way.

I know I'm looking forward to learning all I can, and I plan on learning quite a bit.
    Unapologetic Geek.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Now, that is the right attitude! Bravo je-rel
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

My post count is low, I have yet to post a finished saber in the gallery, I've spent less than $100 in the store, and I've been on the forums for less than six months.
    That said, I feel as though I have a pretty solid footing in the community here.
    I'm not exactly a household name like LDM, or J-Lo, or Fender.
    I'm not even as well known as some of the newer members like Shadar, or Goltar, or even our new buddy HAVOK.
    It'd be an unfortunate mistake, however, to think of that as my lack of activity here.
    I'm less known because I run my mouth a lot less (no offense to the more active members; we love you and your comments are appreciated).
    I was browsing these forums for a full three months before I ever registered, and since then have spent at least 15 hours a week doing nothing more than reading.
    Reading anything and everything on these pages.
    The ratio of what I read, to what I post on, is easily 30:1 or more.

What this means in the end, is that my post count remains low, because:
    I've found an answer to almost every single question I've ever had, without publicly asking;
    It's a lot harder to get flamed for a thought you never posted;
    and I go out of my way to only post what I feel is valuable information--be that constructive criticism, a new idea, or even just an artistic opinion.

The most important advice anyone can give here, is patience, persistence, and a positive attitude.
    Those three qualities will take you miles within this community.

Another thing that helps a lot..........preview your posts.
    Before you click submit, reread what you wrote.
    Think about how it sounds to someone else.
    Did you get your point across in as few words as possible?
    Did you remain honest and respectful?
    Did you keep a positive attitude?
    Were you excited to receive positive feedback?
    If you can say yes to all four of those, you probably have an O.K. post.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.

Nicepost KuroChou.

I'm still a total Noob myself, but would like to pointout that some of your excellent guidelines work for everyone, not just noobsl. Specifically:

Think about how it sounds to someone else.
    Did you remain honest and respectful?
    Did you keep a positive attitude?

Fortunately IMO most here do just that.
    Jedi Ronin. No Master, save the Force.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll chime in...

Before I even joined these forums I had read for 3 months about an hour each day.
    This forum was the first I ever (and still have) joined because of the respect there is among the members who love to learn, and to share their experience.

If a person doesn't love to learn, they aren't going to enjoy this forum...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Another thing.
    Some good advice that is given throughout the forums:

Start a new Favourites Folder called TCSS or something like that. When you see a good thread that you could use as a reference, bookmark it.

Make a word processor document and copy and paste posts in there that are informative to use as reference. (Also, paste the poster as well. It is good practice to credit people when you pass on their knowledge word for word.)

And one I personally use:
    Make a new folder in "My Pictures" or whatever, and put any lightsaber related images in there. Mine started back in 2008 as I copied images of Randomsabers I liked. Now it has everything from Renders to Soundboard wiring diagrams.

Oh yeah... the shoutbox is a much better alternative for asking questions than starting a new thread. If you really can't find it on TCSS, then once you've done it, post a tutorial!

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent