Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: electroplating aluminum

Default electroplating aluminum

can you electroplate any metal?

I once saw this cool thing on TV where these kids in LA or something had these bicycles that they electroplated a gold finish onto the chrome. It wound up looking as if the spokes and the fenders were really gold.

I'm hoping the same or similar technique could be used in place of powder coating.

Any links of where one could send off metal parts to get gilded would be appreciated.

Also, if you have any pics to share of your electroplating experience, please share them.

*sigh*

Some of the more seasoned members can feel free to correct me on this, but one quick look at the store tells me that Tim is NOT set up to electroplate anything.

There's your answer. Now do your own legwork.

thank you for your response. Though, I wasn't asking if he would do it. Just if anyone had theirs electroplated, if they could tell me where so I could contact them.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I know some people have sent saber parts off to be anodized, but I don't know about electroplating.

Anodizing is not cheap, I don't imagine electroplating would be, either.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

isn't anodization adding a layer of zinc to the surface to make it acid-proof or corrosion-resistant?

I found a couple of nice sites that can do custom work that's not too, too expensive.

http://www.artisanplating.com/ They offer a metal called ruthenium - very similar to black or darkened nickel which I think would look very sharp. That in combination with something with a brass or copper hue would make for a very handsome saber!

thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Lord Maul; 11-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Judging from his pricing guidelines, I'm guessing it would cost at least $150 per part to have them electroplated by the website whose link you provided. That's not exactly what I would call "not too, too expensive". He also mentions that electroplating won't cover any imperfections, so you need to have the parts polished prior to plating them. That's the same problem we have with the transparent powder coats such as Brilliant Brass. I would be worried with most of those platings that it would wear off with frequent handling, although I admit that Ruthenium sounds pretty durable. I don't see how this is markedly better for our purposes than the powder coating that Tim already offers, and if I am going to drop that kind of money on a saber upgrade, I'll be purchasing another CFC, not a paintjob.

regarding price, that's really my business. I just figured do a little at a time. You know, get all the parts I need, get them all polished and nice and clean and send them out to get plated or get a part, get it cleaned and get it plated. Might take me a while but I'd have something that I'd love.

I don't know if this'll make any sense to anyone but I've always longed for something that's uniquely mine like a wand of a student's at Hogwarts.

What do you think; ruthenium and gold or ruthenium and copper? I think I like the gold combination.

and it's not something I'm gonna be playing with or handling much so I'm not too concerned about the plating coming off or wearing away with use.

Well in that case, I'd go with the ruthenium and gold. Black and copper don't look right together in my eyes. And even if you're not going to handle it much, you might want to get the ruthenium plating on the parts that you will be gripping, and the gold on the parts that will be getting less handling.

It's not what I would do, but it's your money.

Electroplating or anodizing aluminum is something that has always interested me. Here’s a website where you can get info on setting-up a little “home brew” system so you can do it for yourself and others.

http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Great link. Thanks Logan.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php