Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: knurling

Banned Sith Lord

i know. ill just nag him out.

So what if he "necros" a post. I must be in the wrong place. I thought this was a place to gather and get info and or help with saber building. If people are not supposed to ask something or comment on something that is concidered too old then maybe all topics past a certain date should be locked.

I can't help but wonder how many people are affraid or nervous to post anything on here from fear of getting flamed or lashed out at for something. I have seen it all on here. From complaints about necro posting to asking a stupid question. It never stops amazing me that no matter how hard someone tries every damn forum out there ends up with at least one jackass that has to have an attitude with people. It makes me wonder if they are just as much of an a**h#le in person or just behind a computer screen. I takes just as much time to answer someone with an honest answer as it does to complain and act like the forum dictator. I only hope that in the long run it doesnt turn people away from Tim's buisness.

OK stepped off of the soap box. Flame away

Banned Sith Lord

language.... dude.... language. i once thought as you did. you dont know the power.... of the TCSS attitude.

seriously i gave up dude. i just accept it for what it is. ya cant change it. i dont ask anything anymore... well mostly cuz i know all i really need to know. that or i just ask my friends here.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I think you said it pretty well, Jester.

Thread necro'ing is fine with me, provided they are adding something to the thread. I don't have an issue with this necro as it is a valid question and that way we keep all the info in the same thread. I take issue when it is a gallery thread and the person just says "good job man!"
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Flaming a necro, particularly in a misc forum, is a good way to tell everybody "look! we're a bunch of elitists based on seniority, and no, you're not allowed to join the fun, because you're new."
    Necro posting isn't just because someone's inconsiderate; it could well be because they're new, and didn't have the chance to post when the thread was "hot."
    As offensive as "necro" posting is to the older members, supposedly due to the inability to see dates, I think it's pretty ironic that the same people can't see the join dates of the people doing the posting.
    If the last post in the thread is older than their account, it's really not their fault. We should invite new people to join the fun, not penalize them because they got here late.

There have definitely been times where I've declined posting for fear of this kind of flame, even though I've only been here a month and couldn't possibly have posted with in an acceptable time frame.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

But if all the new person wants to post in a dead thread is "wow, good job!" or " ohhh shiny!" how is that contributing? Now, if they come into the thread regardless of age and ADD something relevant or bring up a valid question, thats ok. It's not like necro posting ISN'T frowned upon on EVERY freakin' forum on the web, so if its something that isn't understood, maybe they're a noob to the web? I don't think so. I really don't see the point of getting all butt hurt over something like simple etiquette. If you don't have anything valid to add to ANY thread, don't post. Simple.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

yup yup. It really shouldn't be called "necroing" at all, if it's valid information. I totally agree that a random compliment six months after the fact, is a waste of everyones time.
    The problem lies in there being too many people who consider themselves senior members, who can't, or won't, tell the difference, and harass both kinds of posts equally.
    To an outsider, it almost looks like hazing.
    I have a hard time believing anyone would get their panties in a bunch, if J-Lo or LDM necro'd. Maybe some teasing, but certainly not the kind of reaction the newer members are getting.

But see, they wouldnt bother necro posting, because they know that it's frowned upon. Now, IF they did, it would be to add valueable information to the thread, and help the n00bz. THAT is NOT frowned upon.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Some hosting servers only have so much room... even for forum posts... and there are some forums where the mods don't like clutter. In other words they don't want a lot of threads on the same topic when one will do just fine. As such, those forums tend to have the opposite attitude of the one we have here. They tend to severely frown upon starting a new thread on a topic that has already been discussed.

Sometimes these forums are setup to have their thread autolock after a certain amount of time has passed with no one having posted in the thread. These mods would much rather that you PM them to unlock this old thread then have you start a new one. As you can see, that is quite the opposite of the attitude here.

My very first forum I joined was the Fan Film forum over at theforce.net. Before coming here, I rarely joined or contributed posts to any other forum so did not know all of their rules, only TF.n's. The Fan Films forum at TF.n goes by the rules I mentioned above so you can imagine my surprise when I came here and saw all the flaming regarding necroposting (none of it was contributed my me, thankfully). Because of my prior experience, I was (and still am) under the impression that's it's better to necropost than to start a new thread. I don't expect others to possibly agree with me unless they have had a similiar experience and I know that's not the policy here. As such, I disagree with the policy but will abide by it nonetheless.

Now I know that some of you are stating that it's ok to necropost if it's contributing to the thread... but it seems like this is not always the attitude taken when this occurs.
    Last edited by ARKM; 02-27-2010 at 12:42 PM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Banned Sith Lord

is it just me or has there been a lot of arguing about the diversity of attitudes here at TCSS? its wierd. hmm. anyway carry on.