Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: broken switch

Default broken switch

the on/off switch that i put in my saber doesn't work. i can push it down to have the saber on but it wont stay on. what could be wrong? i can't seem to take it apart.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

A switch would be an easy fix, just replace it. Save yourself the headache of trying to fix it.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Sounds to me like you bought the wrong type of switch...you have a momentary when you should have used a latching instead.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Is it not latching? Did you actually get a latching switch? Or a momentary one?

Do you have a Bezel nut on it? One of the switches in the Store won't work with that, you can't press the shorter button in far enough to make it latch with a Bezel nut on the outside.

I always test my electronics outside of the hilt before I install it inside. As do most of us.

Edit:
    D'oh, Jay-gon beat me to posting.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

that's the thing, i tested it before i put it in and it's only just started acting up last night. it's been in the saber for about a week and a half. it's the SPST Push on/off - Mom switch with black button. but i guess i'll have to just buy a replacement.....

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Hmm. Those are the switches that I like to use. Also, those are the ones that won't work with the bezel nut.

It's possible that something in the latching mechanism isn't working anymore.

I usually only have to replace switches in my friend's sabers when one of them gets hit while the saber is being fought with.
    TCSS MODERATOR

it's the SPST Push on/off - Mom switch with black button.
    Never did get the difference between and ...

Does the push on off work just like a latching? how is that even possible..if not what does it do differently...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It does work just like a latching switch, when you push it all the way in, it latches, but it works like a momentary if you just push it part way.

But, unlike the latching switches, if you bump the button when it's on, while you are fighting with your saber, it won't turn the LED off for a split second when you do.

That's why I like those switches.

A friend and I asked Tim to carry those switches, because we had gotten the same type from another source that had gone out of business and the manufacturer would only sell them in bulk. We gave him the part number and he did the rest.
    TCSS MODERATOR

So do they work with boards that need a mom switch?
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That, I do not know.

They might, if you don't push the button hard enough to latch it. But why would you want to, where there are regular momentary switches out there?
    TCSS MODERATOR