Thread: idea for securing the blade

Default idea for securing the blade

I have a couple question on securing the blade. I am thinking of buying the style 18 LED blade holder.

I would like to be able to use screws that are flush, or nearly flush with the thick outer ring on the blade holder. I think I will like this look better than an oversized thumb screw. I won't be doing any dueling with my saber.

So what I'm thinking of doing is having the blade holder drilled and tapped at four points. Think of it like north, south, east, west... around the blade holder. Then I could use 4 screws like these to secure the blade:

Of course this means I'll always have to use an allen wrench to remove the blade, but I'm OK with that.

Any thoughts? Again, I'm thinking more about the look, and trying to avoid the standard thumb screw that is often used.

thanks

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

People use set screws instead of thumbscrews all the time. You only need one hole still.
    Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

One screw is more than enough to hold the blade in place, *especially* if you're not going to use it for dueling. The blade is very tight inside the blade holder even without the screw, so really, you may not need one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Strydur View Post
    People use set screws instead of thumbscrews all the time. You only need one hole still.
    Tim is right. The set screw after screwed in will sit flush with the surface of
    the blade holder and is plenty to hold the blade in. Also, if the screw does
    stick up at all, just take enough off of the set screw to fit flush (the end of
    the screw, not the allen wrench side). I use these instead of thumb screws
    as I don't like big thumb screws either. The 10-32" threaded screw provides
    better holding surface than the 8-32" screw.
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Ben View Post
    The blade is very tight inside the blade holder even without the screw, so really, you may not need one at all.

If you are going to put a blade in it and swing it around at all, you will NEED a blade retention screw of some sort.
    The blade holders aren't so tight as to keep the blade from flying out if swinging it without a retention screw in it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Banned Sith Lord

you can drop it and dent the blade holder.... like what happened with my project. i straightened it out and it holds the blade in like a clamp no screw needed. hahahah

just kidding... dont.... dont drop it. please?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

J-Lo is correct, if you intend on swinging it at all you will need some kind of retention screw.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

He mentioned it would be just a showpiece. But IMO, I tink some blade retention screws would look good on a saber as an accent, even.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

If you don't plan on dueling with your saber, just having it sit and look cool on a wall(although dueling with these toys is very fun) why not use a screw at all? Then the blade holder remains unblemished. But if you do plan on just swinging it around in the dark, then I would definantly go with the set screw as said by the other members.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Quote Originally Posted by Sairon View Post
    If you don't plan on dueling with your saber, just having it sit and look cool on a wall(although dueling with these toys is very fun) why not use a screw at all? Then the blade holder remains unblemished. But if you do plan on just swinging it around in the dark, then I would definantly go with the set screw as said by the other members.
    Sairon, you've got the idea. I probably will be swinging it around in the dark, so some kind of retention is needed. I just don't plan to duel with it.

Thanks everyone!