Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: considered using other bar stock?

Default considered using other bar stock?

You know, instead of aluminum? Could you use something like brass or bronze and turn it with the same pattern or whatever you would as the pieces you have in stock only with the new metal?

If you're unwilling to stock the metal, could someone provide the bar stock to you and you could turn it for them?

Are you asking if Tim can make parts out of different metal? If that is the question the answer is no.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

could you let him answer that please? I'm sure others might like to know as well.

The question has been asked before...$k is just answering it for you...do some searching, you will find threads...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Brass is a whole lot more expensive than aluminum and it would not be cost effective to make a whole lot of parts that most people would not buy because of the price. It also would not be cost effective to make one or 2 parts out of brass for one person. The more of the same part you can make at the same time, the more cost effective it is.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    Brass is a whole lot more expensive than aluminum and it would not be cost effective to make a whole lot of parts that most people would not buy because of the price. It also would not be cost effective to make one or 2 parts out of brass for one person. The more of the same part you can make at the same time, the more cost effective it is.

Lets enphasize this, it's A LOT MORE expensive. Plus, there is the weight factor. That would make one hella heavy bastid of a saber.

From someone yet to build one saber, you seem to have already become bored with an almost unlimited pallet of possiblities........odd.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Brass is over 5 times more expensive than aluminum and Copper is over 13 times more expensive than aluminum.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Grue, do some reading please. Every question you have asked so far on these forums has been answered before. Take a week or two and just read, don't post. Many new guys wait months before joining so they don't make an ass of themselves on the boards.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Grue, do some reading please. Every question you have asked so far on these forums has been answered before. Take a week or two and just read, don't post. Many new guys wait months before joining so they don't make an ass of themselves on the boards.
    I read these forums for over a year before I joined and started

Yep, yep...*brushes fingernails on shirt* look at me now..........

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I read the forums for over 3 months before I posted. You can learn a lot more doing it this way. What I have learned is while I was searching for an answer, I would ALWAYS find something else that would help me later on. There is tons of information on this forum and it really helps to research before you build a saber or make a post. The more you know, the less likely you are to fry an expensive sound card.