Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My next saber

Default My next saber

Having just finished my first lightsaber ever, I'm almost hooked. My next project is a fully-functional LED with sound hardware saber. As of now, I've only planned the outer cosmetic parts of the saber.

Here's my schematic so far.

Explanation of the saber/schematics:
    The "base" of the saber is a 1.5" sink tube. The pommel is a pipe connector thingy, and the black part on the main part of the body is PVC. Also, the emitter accents are PVC. Circles with crosses are screws. Something not featured in the schematic and that I just remembered is how I'm attaching it to my belt. I'm using this D-ring or something similar, and attaching it to the end of the pommel, on the bottom of the saber. It has a K2 blue blade.

I have a few issues so far with this saber, mostly relating to wiring and the blade.

1. In the store, the only LED blade holders I see are for MHS. Are there any holders for LED blades that aren't MHS specific? Or would I have to buy the MHS to sink tube adapter(which I really don't want to do)? I saw the 1.25" blade holder. Is there any way I can make that fit into a 1.5" tube?

2. I'm also adding another LED to my wiring. It's a small one, but do I need a resistor for that?

3. Just to make sure I have this right: I HAVE to have a momentary switch for a Hasbro sound board, yes?
    Last edited by Nineteen; 11-04-2009 at 11:19 AM.
    "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

My advice is to do more reading. Lots more.

And buy a straight edge.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Yeah, I found some more stuff last night, but didn't update the post. I've still got some questions, though.

Straight edges are over-rated.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Nineteen;150984]
    It has a royal blue blade. This is the dimmest LED around, I would go with a blue seoul p4, or cree because of the hasbro board's current output

1. In the store, the only LED blade holders I see are for MHS. Are there any holders for LED blades that aren't MHS specific? Or would I have to buy the MHS to sink tube adapter(which I really don't want to do)? I saw the 1.25" blade holder. Is there any way I can make that fit into a 1.5" tube? NO, You have to buy an adapter and a blade holder if you want to use a 1.5" as a base. The PVC you are talking about is hard to find now, you will probably have to order it online.

2. I'm also adding an "indicator" LED to my wiring. It's a small one, but do I need a resistor for that? If by "indicator" you mean "low battery" you need something that will basicly allow the LED to turn on at a certain level of current and voltage. I don't know how to do that exactly. If you do some searching you can probably find it.

3. Just to make sure I have this right: I HAVE to have a momentary switch for a Hasbro sound board, yes? YES, and no more than 6volts.
    [QUOTE]

I think you need a new schematic...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    this is the dimmest led around, i would go with a blue seoul p4, or cree because of the hasbro board's current output
    What about the Blue K2 in this kit?

no, you have to buy an adapter and a blade holder if you want to use a 1.5" as a base. The pvc you are talking about is hard to find now, you will probably have to order it online.
    Does the PVC have a special name? As far as I know, the PVC is just the normal stuff you can get at Lowe's. You are talking about my grip shell thing, right?

if by "indicator" you mean "low battery" you need something that will basicly allow the led to turn on at a certain level of current and voltage. I don't know how to do that exactly. If you do some searching you can probably find it.
    I was actually just going for an LED that lights up, but I might do the low battery thing, too. Thanks for the idea! I edited my original post for clarification.

yes, and no more than 6volts.
    The momentary switch in this kit should work, correct?
    Last edited by Nineteen; 11-04-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes to everything...

I forget the Actuall specifications... THE big yellow box has it.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

If the momentary switch with the Hasbro board is not directly on the board, and connected to it through wires, can I cut off the momentary switch and replace it with another, like in the LED kits?

I also updated my plans. Can you guys check to make sure the wiring diagrams are correct? I think they are, but I feel that the sound diagram is missing something.
    Last edited by Nineteen; 11-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Okay, I found a schematic that is basically doing what I'm trying to do. I still need to know if I can cut the mom switch from a Hasbro board and replace it with my own, and still have it work. Also, do I need a resistor for the smaller LED? Finally, will a K2 LED work with a Hasbro board? I updated my schematics again to match up with the post I found, but I still have to update it on my first post. I'll do that in a little bit. But if you could answer those questions for me, I'd appreciate it. I think my wiring plans are pretty much done.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The economy hasbro will not drive the blue K2 well at all. You will get less than 9 lumens with it. I have tested many, many LEDs in the economy hasbro boards and have included a list of the ones that work best in the top of this thread: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=7587

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Are the board setups for the Force Action Clone Wars sabers all like this one? Also, according to that post, I can use a 4AA battery pack, sound board, and Lux III without any resistors, right? Is there a way to get rid of the flash on clash with the FACW sabers, while still keeping the sound?

EDIT: Okay, here's what I want to put into my saber. Please let me know if this'll work.

Last edited by Nineteen; 11-05-2009 at 06:13 PM.