Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: no offense but, that's it?

Quote Originally Posted by a fearsome grue View Post
    bright brass, copper or bronze.

or I could just go to a guy nearby. Either way, it's all good. I just think it should be available to everyone at all times.

Or better yet, meh, I'll jest start another thread.
    Or better yet, "meh", you could 'jest' back off, and take a hike, you little internet court jester. This is a community of people helping other people. What you're doing is none of the such, quite argumentative and whiny, all the while maintaining the idea that you're an arrogant little cuss.

Go open your own saber shop. Offer powder-coating of your own choices. Oh wait... you have no skills nor cash to learn such things. My bad. I guess you're out-of-luck with your "I have no respect for anyone else but myself" attitude.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Listen, if you can get it locally, do it. Don't come here and complain about a service that's already a cut above all the others. As far as I know, TCSS is the most extensive (and only) DIY custom saber store on the entire web! And the only one that offers powder coating as for it's customers at such an affordable rate.

I don't go to a Wal-mart and complain to them that they don't have X product or variety Y.

Okay, so there's Saberkit, but their service is pretty bad.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Council Member
    Sith Lord

I hacked both the posts in question, DJ and eastern
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Cool, thanks!

that guy needs a donut or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Jase Kala Maris View Post
    When I was young, we said "Take a chill pill."

Grue, if you just calm down just a bit and do some research, people will ease
    off and this sight will be a better help for you. However, as others had already
    said, this a DIY forum and if you just want a nice pre-built saber, there are
    plenty of options on other sites.

Tim, I hope that was an acceptable suggestion.
    Yoda always said there would be days like this.

Banned Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    I hacked both the posts in question, DJ and eastern
    okay....

Well, we've established the value of the original post, but we may as well make lemonade from the lemons.

What Fender said. I have my own basic powder-coating kit, and I can vouch that metallics are just really, really hard. The opaque colors simply don't look like the metals they claim to look like, and the transparents are ultimately only as good as the surface underlying them. When it comes to metallics, there is simply no substitute for the actual metal (except maybe chrome plating, which is a completely different technology).

And just a little "testimonial" here. I was having trouble getting a tough surface with my powder coating, and I asked Tim for advice. Tim had nothing to gain from giving me advice (beyond the loyalty of an already loyal customer), but gave me advice that has radically improved the quality of my powder coating. (Stupid me, I took the instruction manual that came with the kit at its word. Turns out it was way off.)

Powder coating is great, but it has its limitations and is no panacea. So if you ask Tim to add a particular color, be sure you have a realistic expectation of what the final product will look like. I find the sample images provided by users at Powderbuythepound to be of limited usefulness, because most come from professional automobile/motorcycle customizers/detailers who are using top-of-the-line equipment. And you can bet they charge a heck of a lot more (exponentially more) than Tim does for his PC services.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase Kala Maris View Post
    MMM....powder coated donut! (Drool) Sorry couldn't resist.

I understand the metallic limitations of powder coat now myself, and although I want it to be perfect, it seems there really is nothing like the real thing.

I do have to agree I think some of the colours available wouldn't be my choice. The bubble gum pink is not what I recognise as that colour. It looks more like magenta with a little less saturation. IMO better choices would be cherry red as apposed to banner, or olive green..mmm. I like olives..lol. Khaki,terracotta...yeah I'm an artist. I love colours but I'm also really picky about having the right ones. I totally appreciate the service here but I wonder where the colour choices came from. Maybe a poll or something would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I totally appreciate the service here but I wonder where the colour choices came from. Maybe a poll or something would help.
    I'm not sure what the usefulness of a poll would be. We would need specific colors (product codes) with useful sample photos (not easy to come by) to choose from, and a popularity contest would not necessarily reflect actual sales. A dozen people could vote for "Candy Blue," but Tim could get zero orders. This and other threads have already pointed to various URLs that give exact product names and sample photos. If people want something powder coated by Tim, they should do the basic homework to find exactly what color they want, and e-mail Tim to ask about it. Then maybe Tim could post a thread to see if other people would actually be seriously interested in ordering it (rather than just expressing an opinion about it). I'm assuming Tim buys in quantity, to get the best value, so anytime he buys a color, he takes the risk that no more than one person will ever actually order it.

Which brings us back to what Lord Maul has said at least twice: If you want a specific color, and are serious about ordering it, you should e-mail Tim with a URL and product code.

BTW, I liked the "powder-coated donut" line.
    There's always a bigger fish.