Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades... the devil is in the NEW tech...

My biggest problem is coming up with the ultimate design that I would be perfectly happy with. I've come to the conclusion that there is no such thing. No matter what I design, I will always find someone did something that I like better. It's like reaching infinite speed--I can make my saber twice as good each time, but I'll never reach the point where I'm completely content.

I have to agree with that too! lol

A good plan executed today... is better than an excellent plan excuted tomorrow.

Name the quote, get a cookie... but... more importantly... take its advice. Life is about here and now: build something today--upgrade as you go.

At least... that's how I feel.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I think it's: “A good plan, violently executed today, is better than a perfect plan next week.” - George S. Patton

google

and I agree. I have upgraded two of my sabers. The upgrade involved a US2.1 being put into my first saber, replacing a hasbro. The 2nd upgrade was adding a recharge port and switching speaker location... after I destroyed my (actually pretty good) wiring job trying to change out the batteries.

With MHS and new bits coming out all the time, I just make another, slightly different saber, and save the old ones for posterity...mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    I'm getting SERIOUSLY disenchanted with this hobby...I seem to have NO LUCK at all in it...
    In my experience there's no such thing as luck... just skill and providence. In which case, either you aren't meant to have a saber, or you're just getting a serious lesson in patience!

Seriously though, putting a time limit on the completion of a saber, in my experience anyway, is always a bad idea - because it usually ends up taking twice as long as you expect. There was a saber I was hoping to have up for sale by last halloween which I didn't get up for sale until this halloween. And the more uber the saber, the longer it takes. I mean, even my own personal "ultimate lightsaber" is still unfinished (yep, upgrades Nova - right now i'm working on replacing the AA size li-ions with 18650 size li-ions, and still have everything fit and not short out, while adding a working LED bargraph at the same time!)
    And that saber, in some form or another, has been in mind almost since I started making sabers, and I had to wait several years before even starting on it. Once it was basically functional, I stopped the "intense" work on it and worked on upgrades when I felt like it and had the $$.

So don't get too depressed onli-wan - although loosing two US's sounds like a hard hit, (I hope it was insured and you got your money!) When you finally get a working saber with powder coating, overlays, and sound effects, you'll appreciate it that much more because of the trouble you had getting there.

Luke

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Jamo--you get a COOKIE, excellent--that is awesome that you got that quote (even though it appears I butchered it)... I just remember it from memory, heheh

And... yup... TOTALLY agreed with Skymarcher. Things like sabers take patience, the right tools (or the will to skillfully use "junk" to get things to work correctly), the right planning, and meticulous care with all soldering.

Now sure... if your saber is simply going to sit on a shelf and look pretty... seriously... WHO GIVES A BORK ABOUT THE SOLDERS... you could do lazy solders, twist wires together, use super glue, whatever. But as for the sabers I'm always trying to build... they go through SO much punishment (mainly from kids!!!)... I have to spend time on each solder joint. Sometimes too much.

<--back to wiring up a few sabers for a b-day party this weekend...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    or the will to skillfully use "junk" to get things to work correctly...
    I've never heard it put so appropriately ... it sounds hackish, but that's really what it is... for. super. serial...

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    the will to skillfully use "junk" to get things to work correctly
    *assumes Jack Sparrow voice* I know, exactly what you mean.

Just wait till you see my next saber.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

I'm constantly upgrading. I upgraded my MHS saber back in the spring, replacing a puck with a CF, and I'm in the middle of upgrading the internals in my brass saber. When I get a couple of other projects finished, I want to upgrade my Mustafar Anakin saber to Li-Ions, and use one of the new red bubble strips.

Never satisfied...

Quote Originally Posted by Luke-SkyMarcher View Post
    *assumes Jack Sparrow voice* I know, exactly what you mean.
    Agh! Jack Sparrow with Force abilities! Bad idea! Potentially hilarious, but utterly bad!

*goes to get brain bleach*