Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What would you like on BT / CF V5

One more suggestion for V5, a USB connection,
    or something simililar so you dont have to open up the hilt to change the soundfonts.

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

long story made short + in a nutshell
    "no, never".
    this has been discussed since 2005 and pops out from time to time, you'll find reasons why I've decided not to walk this design path on this forum and on others.

#1 if your saber is well designed, access to the SD card is painless. Also, you have 6 sound banks in the sabers, so the actual "need" to change sound font is rare.

#2 where would fit a USB plug ? are you sure it won't break ? I *do* have experience with USB.

#3 : ideally it would be with an embedded mass storage driver on CF. Sure, ready made software on internet exist for that but it would KILL the real time OS I've designed. I keep believing that a saber life is being used as a saber, spinned, clashed etc, not hooked to a computer. Main usage indicates efforts should be done for proper motion sensing, not for font changing, at least if I have to choose between the 2.

However, I agree that "testing" soundfont is still questionnable : I've solved that long ago by having a bench setup for CF + speaker + resonnant chamber + eventually a dummy hilt. V5 will provide also something new for sound font designers and configuration file tweakers (aside of my saber sound mixer software that is here since like 2006, I'll port it to Max5 for a ***ier user interface).
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

I was thinking about something like this:
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ihunai/CF5.jpg

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

even better now, with a satellite plug. Good luck for finding a generic way of installing a flat connector on a rounded hilt.
    Believe me, there are some differences between a CAD software and real life. Sorry to sound harsh but I've been there before and those considerations now date from 2005.

note that I'm not saying it's not possible to place a USB plug on a saber, I'm just stating it's a bad idea.
    Props Electronics

Quote Originally Posted by erv View Post
    actually I was thinking about 7 like my PLI
    It's BTW called a 7 segment display. Indeed, the blinking "pattern" when idle can be a combination of all segments. As for the dot of such a display, it can still be wired as a luxeon mirroring accent LED.
    Also, why not, even if a bit overkill, I was thinking of adding an iddle.txt then, to define what the accent leds pads would do during idle. Another sequencer for the idle mode. Like random, step sequencer, or ask the accent led to display the PLI when idle.
    so led.txt : normal accent led seq
    alt.txt : lockup led seq (like the alternate seq of my chestbox core)
    idle.txt : led seq during idle, plus other possible parameters.
    Could you add programable/selectable sounds to go along with the blinkies while idle? Like an electric discharge sound or some force wave sounds. Kind of like the reload sounds on BlasterCore. Also a tone, chime, or beep to go along with the low battery LED?

Maybe an option to "double click" the aux button when in idle mode to turn the sounds on and off?

If USB was a viable option the port could be anywhere, like a pommel, or as proven by recharge ports and use of activation boxes...there are lots of mounting options.

I guess I need to work on designing inside my hilt because even getting the US 2.5 to run stable has been difficult for me but I have alot of challenges in mine for a noob. When I do get it running smooth it is not coming apart for a very long time.

I must admit I have no idea what's involved in utilizing USB and how it would interfere with motion sensors etc., but I have to say the best thing about CF would be making your own fonts so anything that makes changing fonts easier sounds good. After all this hobby is seems to be largely dominated by a DIY community.

Then again getting CF seems to be so hard I don't even wanna think about...

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post
    Could you add programable/selectable sounds to go along with the blinkies while idle? Like an electric discharge sound or some force wave sounds. Kind of like the reload sounds on BlasterCore. Also a tone, chime, or beep to go along with the low battery LED?

Maybe an option to "double click" the aux button when in idle mode to turn the sounds on and off?
    Sounds like a neat idea to me...or anything to replace the force push sound cause that sound coming from a saber never made sense to me.

I wanna make fonts so bad....from fan belts, fridges, crackles, hiss and hums...I WANT ONE!!!

oops...didn't mean to double post I though Jamo posted after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Sounds like a neat idea to me...or anything to replace the force push sound cause that sound coming from a saber never made sense to me.
    the "force" fx is nothing but a proposed use of a sound slot in the theme of a soundfont.
    Sounds are changeable, remember ?
    In many fonts, Novastar changed blaster deflections to movie quotes, force was turned into lightning etc. It can be anything. Apples aren't always red.

the idea of a idle sounds isn't bad per say but I expect a powered off saber.... silent... For a revealed crystal chamber and what and idle sound could be, see what can be done with a 4.x here

http://www.youtube.com/user/MadcowGe.../7/n0jc2-tO0HY

also, idle sounds are still possible with iSaber.
    Props Electronics

Bluetooth or Wifi to install soundfonts would be kinda awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn View Post
    Bluetooth or Wifi to install soundfonts would be kinda awesome.
    There must be a constest. BT is about as wrong as USB as a standard, aside other troubles. Wifi sucks about 300 mA to work, and requires a TCP/IP stack.
    Stop considering parameter update is something you need to do all the time.

Now I would appreciate you guys start focusing about possible *saber* features, rather than trying to fit a computer or a smartphone in a saber hilt. We're talking about real hilts, not telescopic hasbro 2" handle powered by a car battery.
    Thanks.
    Props Electronics