Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like on BT / CF V5

Just thought of another one, after Watto made a comment on my CD#2 thread, in that he was hoping to further tweak his configs and had used my suggestions on the CD#2 to help...

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but... here's how to explain the idea:

* Ok, it's true we have blade flicker and glow settings
    * They can be adjusted to have no flicker, minor flicker, major flicker... and the same for pulse/glowing, etc.
    * Same with ramping... it can be somewhat "shy" or quick, etc.

The thing is:

* Voltage provided by cells affects these...
    * Voltage required by the LED (and other components) affects these...

The result is:

* We don't really know how saber X with 7.2v and blahblah LED will look...
    * Neither would the EXACT SAME VALUES with saber Y with 6v and hohum LED end up looking the same

So... I am wondering if there is possibly some kind of "adjustment" value sets that the user can provide... sort of like a "voltage key" to give CF a better idea on how to treat flicker gradients, and overall pulse stuff.

Does any of that make sense? The point would be... if you set "101" to a certain value for a flicker option on saber X... it will look PRETTY DARN CLOSE to saber y with the same "101" value.

Everyone get what I'm puttin' down?
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

I do get it pretty well, that's why I'd like to "re format" the parameters for the next version so that it's overall non dependant of the power supply voltage. Parameters that are affected by the battery voltage are flicker depth and the shimmer effect which depth is fixed (but variable timing), however it's not expressed in a percentage of the luxeon driver.
    To be adjusted so that effects look the same all along the battery run time.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

I was just thinking... since you're adding more accent LED's, could you make it so that you can have more than just 1 LED blink in idle mode?

When reading the list of upgrades, it occurred to me that if the total number of accent LED's reaches 8, one could use the LED segment display like LDM did
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ead.php?t=9517
    and have it display the bank number in idle mode.

And on any other saber it might just be cool to have not just different led's but different numbers of led's blink in idle for different sound fonts.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

actually I was thinking about 7 like my PLI
    It's BTW called a 7 segment display. Indeed, the blinking "pattern" when idle can be a combination of all segments. As for the dot of such a display, it can still be wired as a luxeon mirroring accent LED.
    Also, why not, even if a bit overkill, I was thinking of adding an iddle.txt then, to define what the accent leds pads would do during idle. Another sequencer for the idle mode. Like random, step sequencer, or ask the accent led to display the PLI when idle.
    so led.txt : normal accent led seq
    alt.txt : lockup led seq (like the alternate seq of my chestbox core)
    idle.txt : led seq during idle, plus other possible parameters.
    Props Electronics

Hmmm... it just occurred to me Erv--we could "re-visit" the idea of attempting to allow CF to produce certain sounds that explain to the user what may be wrong if something fails...

Remember how you and I created all those "prefix", "suffix" and "mid suffix" sounds? The ones that spoke out: "syntax error" or "file not found", etc.?

Well... INITIALLY I alerted us to the fact that we couldn't use these because success with them was predicated on the fact that the user would ALSO have to get their sounds loaded up correctly in the FIRST PLACE... so although it wasn't totally useless... the error-catching sound-system was flawed.

But if you're doing a v5... you *COULD* have the error sounds get programmed into the firmware... so that instead of getting BEEP, BEEEEEP, beep...

we'd get things like:

* Sound Bank 1... file not found
    * Font Description 4... file not found
    * Configuration File 6... syntax error

or whatever. We could even have firmware error catching if you know how CF would react if there was an LED or acc error.

Not sure about all this though... the real question is... do we think it will SOLVE MORE PROBLEMS vs. how much work it creates??!?

Hard to say... but--consider it something where I'm "re-suggesting" it! I still have the silly little message files I recorded before we decided to abort the whole thing, heheh...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Maybe this idea isn't viable at all, but...

What about creating the possibility for the current "bargraph remote control pad" to send data/(power) signals to separate "add on boards" (like for instance : (RGB) current regulators), that won't find a place on the actual CF board?

Second : Currently you have the choice of either the RGB setup, or the sequencing led display. Would it be possible to change this to an and/and situation? (Possibly with the use of an add on board?)

I'm thinking this way, there would be specific expansion options on CF if people wish to have these. While not causing problems for the "basic" user.
    Last edited by winger; 01-21-2010 at 06:46 AM.
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

it's a matter of room on the board and since I'm planning to have things even smaller on V5, that's probably not going to happen (you still need to fit those wiring pads somewhere).
    Overall I'm not a big fan of RGB & color mixing. To me, a saber is a saber, color changing has nothing to see with the movies so...
    I've been asked this also for TFU : he changes the crystal => you can still change the LED.
    Color switching has been demonstrated in various sabers, sometimes retrofitting a fancy flashlight : most of the time, it's not current regulated, in the best case it's voltage chopped, which isn't the right electronic solution to me.

CF already supports color switching and adjustable tint (for purple for instance) is really easy to do, as demonstrated by our friends Vader's Vault.
    To me, it's important to keep going with reliabilty, size concerns and growing things like clash flash, which goes with spectacular results, rather than color changing.
    If I was making a R2 control board like the JEDI controller, everything would be possible, it's easy wen you can fit a board that is 5"x5", here, it's slightly different.

no hard feelings, thanks for proposing and keeping the topic alive !

Erv'
    Props Electronics

Thanks for the elaborate answer Erv. I was just tossing some idea's around. Who knows, one might have turned out to even be usefull.
    The RGB thing was merely used as an example. The "networking" thing might be worth keeping in the back of the shelve, for the future.

I'll sit back and wait to see wait V5 is going to bring to the saber building community. Keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.

John
    -winger-
    If there's a bright centre in the universe, I'm on the planet that's farthest from...

Hey would it be possible to have a pwm output signal pad. As leds are using more & more current like the ssr-90 it would be awesome to be able to modulate a 3 or 5 amp cc driver with the CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Hey would it be possible to have a pwm output signal pad. As leds are using more & more current like the ssr-90 it would be awesome to be able to modulate a 3 or 5 amp cc driver with the CF.
    That is a pretty darn good idea, Sun! How funny too, since Yoda & I were ~just~ on the phone talking a little about clash flash ideas.

I am hoping that we see something like:

led = xxx (main LED current, we are used to this, duh)
    xled = xxx (flash circuit current)
    xflashd = xxx (delay of flash that we are used to... but it would also determine the amount to stay on & off during a lockup for strobing/pulsing)

But I will say also:

* Currently, if you use any kind of 4-up LED, and each requires ~3.7v...
    * Wire 2 for main LED, the other 2 for the XLED...
    * Use a ~7.2v pack
    * Main LED pair does just fine... and other 2 won't really need much of a resistor for the direct line 7.2v "pop" for the flash on clash...
    * If the clash circuit "strobes" on lockup... even during this time, it would be tough to destroy/overdrive/overheat the LED due to the fact that it is not "officially" constantly on

Great idea, though Sunrider... it might be really cool for people to be able to hook up the clash flash LED setup without worry of getting the right resistor!