Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you like on BT / CF V5

Lightbulb What would you like on BT / CF V5

checking the previous thread to extract important feature requests :

* Including a software volume control or setting (other than the vol POT itself)
    * New architecture for v5... departing from the v2,3,4 a bit
    * More boards available overall, more often (hopefully!).
    * less parts, smaller board, easier to built (for me)
    * Some different parts removed; another better one to replace them
    * Overall cost NOT increased
    * Increasing the current to 2000mA
    * maximum backward capacilities
    * enhanced sound quality + louder
    * Allowing the flicker options to affect poweron and poweroff (power on flicker is already there). Options to enable or disable those fx
    * probably a sound fx config file and a specific led config file, we'll see
    * new audio engine (my problem) - more efficient
    * wav support (works for a year when I initially planned V5 but... no time). Doesn't change anything from the reading of the sound files actually since WAV = 95% RAW
    * more accent LEDs (multi purpose)
    * option do get the accent LEDs go crazy during lockup => use an altleds.txt sequence just like on my chestbox controller or blaster core. If altleds.txt, lockup doesn't
    affect accent led sequencing, hence no additionnal parameter is needed.
    * improved safety for the board with optionnal settings depending if you target absolute newbie proof or extended performance
    * more gesture recognition
    * more sound slots. Maybe, like 4 power on sounds for instance.
    * nova mute-on-da-go proposal to temporarly mute the saber instead of jumping in a muted sound font
    * separate accelerometer with mini daughter board : NO
    * separate SD card on mini daughter board : NO. (for both it's been proved you can fit CF in tiny spaces, you don't need that. Engineer a little bit your saber instead of asking CF to self adapt to any situation. It's already pretty "adaptable".
    * enhanced clash flash WITH flickering and shimmering during clash / lockup with separate timings from the luxeon (ideal for creating even more chaotic fx and contre point)
    * pre scan to find automatically how many files to use : probably not. I'm not convinced of that. Fixed sound fonts would be easier to handle for everyone.
    * RGB *mixing*. NO. I'd need 3 current regulator that will NEVER FIT. You guys want rainbow sabers, cool. CF isn't just PWM dimming / chopping voltage to the led, it's a complete servoing system. The current RGB selection system will probably remain, maybe extended to 4 dices control so that the great ledengin leds could be used to their full potential. As for on board PE, no neither, there are probably like less than 1% of people wanting a color changing saber and I don't want to increase the size of the board for that. If you need the feature, you'll need to wire up external PEs somewhere in the hilt.
    * 25V support : no. I tested many things and stepping down from high voltage to the core voltage of CF is an issue. It generate a lot of useless heat. I prefer to improve the current if can generate so that the 2 cell setup remains the best solution for everyone instead of wiring dices in serie. V5 will be compatible with at least 12 / 13V and won't feat a 3 cell setup anyway.
    * more switch options. I got a request to add the ultrasound delayed power off to handle poor switches with a lot of bouncing. APOP handles that already and I'm not fully conviced but why not.
    * ramp up fx timing : param to select if matching the power on sound duration, or custom duration. Extension of the "quick on" current param.
    * same for the power off I suppose.
    * a param to define if gesture recognition starts immediatly if ramp up time < poweron sound length
    * separate gesture detection "rate & flow" from the visual fx. Right now, the clash rate is limited by the shimmer duration. It's convenient for user's BUT... to be accurate, shimmer clash is one thing, and clash gesture is something else. User might like a very speedy sequence of clashes even if the shimmer fx of each clash is interrupted. Another parameter like a the "swing" one that limits the swing rate (I'm sorry, my motion regognition algo is "too" fast ).
    * multiple power on with saber orientation selection (3 sounds)
    * multiple power off with saber movement/idle selection (2 sounds)
    * Press & release aux = entering blaster mode. Further swings = more Blasters. Wait for the end of a blaster sound OR clash interrupt blaster mode

pretty good as a start, isn't it ? Many of those are in the burner for a year. But House Shot First
    Last edited by erv; 11-02-2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

I think that covers just about everything *Mouth waters*

Only other thing I can think of is for Accent LED bar graphs getting the option to go crazy during a lock up sequence to represent the Saber is taking some serious stick

Cheers Erv'

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Support for stereo playback of stereo RAW (or WAV) files and, of course, 2 speaker outputs on the board. One for the left channel and one for the right. No I'm not kidding.

I don't see much use for it in the saber building/using community so I know it's impractical and most likely will never happen.... but I have a use for it, thus the request.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I've Discussed this idea with Malaki and It is a Feature that I would absolutley love to see in the next CF Version.

I was talking to my dad one day about how the lightsabers in star wars always seem to have different ignitions. We threw a few theories at each other and we came up with this:

The Theory we have is that when a Lightsaber is held at different angles it affects the ignition sound of the saber.

The way we came up with the theory is from Episode III. Anakin uses his saber throughout the move and the ignition sounds are relitivley the same. Then he goes to Jedi Temple to kill off the remining Jedi and his saber has a Sith like Ignition. Now most people would claim it's to add to the tension of the scene which it does very well, but what if it were the lightsaber itself that causes the sound.

So My Idea is called Angular Ignition.

When the saber is in idle mode the accel is still on, instead of one "saberoff" setting you have maybe 2 or 3 instead that corrorspond with some angles. How many angles is up to Erv of course but lets say he uses three angles:

90 Degree

180 Degree

-90 Degree

Here is how the ignition works:

90 Degree = saberon1

180 Degree = saberon2

-90 Degree = saberon3

Anything in between you can still have a basic ignition e.g. saberon.

Anywho, thats just my idea. Hope you Like it Erv. It would be an honor to see this feature on CF v5

Ohh what was that movie with the Giant Robots, OHHH I REMEMBER!

It was Titanic....

Sounds great...especially if "smaller board" means narrower rather than shorter...12-13V YAY!...and best of all: "More boards available overall, more often (hopefully!)"

Arkm, I hate to be aggressively negative, but... that is a very stupid idea then. It's the kind of idea that (AGAIN) is asking CF to "bend to the will of 1%"... or in this case... far LESS than 1% of users.

Your request would be best as a private message/project for Erv and you to work out on your own, versus ask for such an option to be forced upon the board. Stereophonic output is not as simple as "adding another channel". It complicates things quite a bit, for the record...

Now that THAT is out of the way... Erv... I think you covered SO many things, it shows the sheer dedication you have to everyone! Picking through every comment, remembering all the "requested" stuff... awesome!

The only thing I could add for now:

* Vib Motor pad... and/or some kind of option to do this through the LED pads. But then again, I think we've discussed this privately... to have a pad that reacts on parameters such as:

~ on clash = motor spins
    ~ on lockup = " " "
    ~ on hum = " " "

...this sort of thing. I suppose I am modifying what I initially proposed, but things could be 0-xxx, where 0=no motor spinning upon the event, and as xxx changes, the motor is more drastically vibrating. Max # is irrelevant so long as you get a value that suits a nice ramping. Maybe 0-256. So... something like:

clash_vib= 128
    lock_vib=256
    hum_vib=64

...would yield strongest/crazy vibrations on lockup, and weakest/normal ones on hum, etc. Maybe a "pulsing" factor could be introduced, or something to figure into the way the blade current behaves would help the motor to be less "static" when it WAS on.

*WHEW* That was a mouthful, but... I think it makes things pretty nice if a motor was present (motor.txt???)...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by H@rrY89 View Post
    ...The Theory we have is that when a Lightsaber is held at different angles it affects the ignition sound of the saber. So My Idea is called "Angular Ignition".

...90 Degree = saberon1, 180 Degree = saberon2, -90 Degree = saberon3

Anything in between you can still have a basic ignition e.g. saberon.

Anywho, thats just my idea. Hope you Like it Erv. It would be an honor to see this feature on CF v5
    BRILLIANT IDEA, HARRY!!! THAT ONE IS ONE IN A MILLION!!! That would really make great use of the "random" sounds being more oriented to the motion detection... good job!
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

seconded. I love it. The angular measurement is already used for pitch shifting and that's a great selection technique for an ignition sound. I'll add it to the list of features. Plus it's easy to make.
    thanks for that brillant contribution. Let me reformulate it by inverting the angular mapping to the file # and let me call dibs on that reverse angular power on selection or RAPOS. You'll get a free cardboard CF for your idea

more seriously. I love it (bis, adlib).

As for the motor pad, it will require a power xtender and a resistor, or I'll need to provide a specific motor. That's not as generic as expected. But at least the control pad could be here. The motor.txt isn't a bad idea per say. However, you need to consider :
    - vibrating motors have a slow startup, and for a reaction to a clash, you'll never really feel their vibration, most of the sensation being visual and the physical smack of the blade.
    - I do like the possibility to define how the motor should pulse
    - however (again) so far a pulsing vibration is possible with wiring the motor as a mirror of the luxeon

I'm not sending the idea to the trash, I'm trying to see how current setup could be adapted and I don't want to add too much pads or dedicated things.

stereo / sound mixing. I already designed something but it adds more parts and doesn't increase the ease of use. It then adds even more complexity to the dynamic mixing level of the sound fonts. Add a fader on the hum over fx, people will ask for faders on individual fx, I see it coming. We end with audio enginneer skills to make sound fonts, plus it depends so much on the speaker and setup.

I'm honnestly still very happy of the premixed sound font, the way I initially implemented it back in 2005. That's with some true audio experience and background that I found how to properly play the files with the illusion the module is polyphonic. Some people still think that it's difficult to make a soundfont because it's about the RAW. Nope, it's about general understanding of digital audio, spectrum and DSP. And having some hear of course.
    I've heard other things like "I'm working on that font with protools". LOL, same idea as saying you using a CNC so you'll end with a brillant result. Unfortunatly no. I could have an Ibanez JS sig edition, I'll still be playing satriani's music like a *smelly brown material*. And give JS an aria pro II and he'll make you cry.
    Using big words like CNC, CAD program, 3D, RPM (rapid prototyping machines), or ProTools will not create your skills from nothing. Novastar is using movie smucker and goldwave, just like I do. I use SoundForge too cause it can do batch processing & conversion, it's just about "faster", not "better".

saber building hobby requires, as I've said many times, a lot of cummulated layers of skills. You feel lost about wiring a CF, make soundfonts, choose the right optics and blades, luxeon binning ? that's normal.
    Props Electronics
    http://www.plecterlabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    Arkm, I hate to be aggressively negative, but... that is a very stupid idea then. It's the kind of idea that (AGAIN) is asking CF to "bend to the will of 1%"... or in this case... far LESS than 1% of users.

Your request would be best as a private message/project for Erv and you to work out on your own, versus ask for such an option to be forced upon the board. Stereophonic output is not as simple as "adding another channel". It complicates things quite a bit, for the record...
    I are not stoopeed! *grunt*

Thus why I said...
    "I don't see much use for it in the saber building/using community so I know it's impractical and most likely will never happen (EDIT: <that part meaning that if it did happen, it wouldn't be just because one person, like me for example, asked for it)... but I have a use for it, thus the request."

In other words, I knew it was unrealistic and that it would never happen. My request, while a possible useful option for me, was for the most part, a joke. Sure, I'd like to see it (thus why I stated "No. I'm, not kidding.") but I realize that for many good, valid reasons, I most likely never will.

I would never ask someone to bend to my will so I'm guessing you were using that phrase figuratively. Asking someone to "bend to their will" would be making a demand, not a request. As I'm sure you know, there is quite a difference in meaning between the words "request" and "demand". A request is just that, a request... no matter how outlandish or impractical... and just to be clear, I was making a request.

Anywho, while I have yet to experience a CF in person, I have seen/heard them on the net as well as read the testimonials. From everything I've seen/heard, the CF is by far the best saber board on the market and is an excellent product. I hope to someday get my hands on one to experience it in person... and sell it in a hilt for tons of money if possible. Hey, at least I'm honest. That said, thank you Erv for making such a fine product and "catering" to us Star Wars/lightsaber fans... and thanks Nova, for making sound fonts and youtube videos that demonstrate what this wonderful product can do... show off.
    Last edited by ARKM; 10-28-2009 at 03:36 AM.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Woohoo! Glad you shared it Harry and even better, its being implemented! All those conversations and its the real thing!

Congrats mate!

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682