Thread: Grip lines in sink tube using a pipe cutter

Default Grip lines in sink tube using a pipe cutter

Hello,
    I'm working on my first custom (MHS) saber, and I was wondering if there is any secret to making the grip lines on a sink tube overlay? Every time I try (whether in a vice or not) the pipe cutter ends up moving on me (making the lines not even or meet) and some times warping the sink tube? Any helpful suggestions? I couldn't find much on this by searching. Thank you.

Randy

I believe most people use a lathe...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

In the case of sink tubing, I know alot of us use the method of pipe cutter and slow, careful turns. Very light pressure is the key I find. Too strong on the pressure and you tend to cut into the pipe deeply enough to warp it's shape, weaken the walls, or worse yet... cut the pipe. I am sure a vice can't hurt as it would offer more control.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have found...
    1.GO SLOOOOW
    2. Multiple Light cuts are better than one deep cut
    3. turn the cutter- not the tube
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

In the case of sink tubing, I know alot of us use the method of pipe cutter and slow, careful turns.
    haha oops...guess not...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Council Member
    Jedi Master

The person who has perfected this delicate technique is Jay Gon, and he has posted several build logs and tutorials that are part of the Foundation of Knowledge of this site. Look around at stuff he has done and I'm sure you will learn much.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Thank you. The key for me was to move the cutter rather than the pipe. I was moving the pipe and that caused lots of problems. Thank you everyone!

Randy