Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PLI Box interest thread

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Default PLI Box interest thread

This is a power level indicator mounted in a box..obviously

I want to see what people think about it. Please dont just say you want one without considering how it mounts, how high it sticks up, how boxy it is etc. If you have ideas on how you would rather see it, this is the time and place to make those suggestions.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Cool idea... I think that it would be nice if the box was a bit less 'boxy'. Maybe a version that was made to fit inside the existing control boxes could work. I'd also like to have just the PLI sold.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul View Post
    Cool idea... I think that it would be nice if the box was a bit less 'boxy'. Maybe a version that was made to fit inside the existing control boxes could work. I'd also like to have just the PLI sold.
    Agreed. Pieces sold separately would make it more desirable to buy and mod. As well as offer kits.

I think this is a great addition to the store and agree that parts should be available as separate for those who are more experianced. A lot of people love the mpp style clamps so making one fit in those would be cool if they have the space.

Me I like the box as is. Will the switch be separate or can one be incorporated?
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Agreed on availability of the PLI separately as well, and able to fit in a clamp. But the box is also a good thought - and I'm already trying to figure out how to fit that in the mental design I have for if/when I get my hands on a CF card...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I agree with having the PLI separately or at least incorporate a switch in the same box. Also, what voltage ranges does it handle?

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

That is sweet! A lil' bit boxy, but that doesn't hurt. It would be a very nice addition to the store.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

i think that if you were to take and sell the PLI itself as one piece, that could be mounted directly to a saber so that you just have the LED's there and that being one option, then making the PLI be able to mount into the box as another option. you could either mount the PLI in your saber and screw the box or add the box, but you could maybe do multiple different kinds of box's? so you can have different styles on your saber or directly into it for those that dont like things sticking out. it gives more options to it. if you could get multiple box's for it made. modular PLI system!
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

I don't know, but I think the box looks alright, even if it is a little "boxy". Judging by the amount of room, I don't think it could be done, but it would be cool if a switch could be somehow incorporated into it aswell.

I certainly am in favour of a PLI box of some kind...looking at the upside down pic of that one I see there appears to be considerable 'extra space' vertically...this suggests to me two possibilities;

1. it could be trimmed at the bottom for a lower profile box.

2. a box the same height might be made to mount the PLI lower with the top milled and slotted more like the already available boxes so that interchangeable bubble strips or slotted/windowed inserts [perhaps brass?] could be slid in above the PLI to give it different appearances, thus also disguising the mounting holes.

The latter option is what I would prefer for OT type saber designs but perhaps the former might be made to look more PT? Especially if you built it in two pieces with a curved base with the mounting holes and a 'mounting rail' ridge and then an upper section of the box that could be slid over that which would have the windows/slots...in that design instead of inserts being interchangeable the entire top outer box would be and could be made in different styles; i.e. a simple 'bargraph box' as seen on sabers like Ki-Adi Mundi or more complicated like Ani AOTC with bubbles.

Perhaps it might even be possible to combine the ideas so that there was a curved flat mounting base...boxes of varying height and type [Luke ROTJ perhaps?] that slid on top of it...and also the interchangeable bubblestrip/slotted inserts that would hide the mounting screw which in this case could also hold the base and box top together?

And yes a method of integrating a switch, perhaps tactile, would be even better.

But I'd still buy a box just like that one actually.
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 10-24-2009 at 01:15 AM.