Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PLI Box interest thread

Quote Originally Posted by Corbin_Das View Post
    I like the rounded box better myself, but I may be a bit partial, since that's what's on my Killer Penny saber:

Corbin
    Hey corbin. The switch you have there, will that only activate the PLI? Could a similar switch be mounted on the other side to activate the saber? Would that switch be mom or tac; can you get both? To accom for MR Hasbro cards as well as US 2.5 AND CF's

Tim. If corbin would be happy to let you expand on your idea using some input from his saber this would be a sure fire winner. One or Two mini switches either side using a alumi plate of your making to egnite the box and saber.

Nice.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

I don't remember where I got the switches from off the top of my head, but they're available in latching or momentary and can control two separate circuits each.

If Tim wants to use something like that, that would be great. He can email me for the source of the switches, if he wants (and if I can still find it). I want to say they were made by APEM, but it's been a few years.

Corbin

I like it. Box looks cool. but like others have said, an option without the box would be cool too.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Corbin, I think that those are made by APEM. I remember asking you when you sent me two of them. An easy mounting solution for them would be a dream. They're so tiny it's hard to find a good place.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

I don't really like it 'as-is', too big, to boxy for my particular tastes. Bevel the edges a bit, maybe make it in an oval format. I'd also like to see the option for a side mounted tactile switch, so it isn't constantly drawing power.

I'd really like to see a version that could either fit into the graflex clamps, or that could be mounted internally to sit flush with the exterior of the MHS pieces.

New Staff Design

Quote Originally Posted by Tenric Starkindler View Post
    PLI great Idea.....big box not so good.
    I really favor either a flush mount or recessed mount to keep it low profile. Perhaps an additional "service" fee to flush mount the PLI for those unable to do it themselves?
    others have said more and in better ways so I'll keep watch and wait.
    Tendric that PLI isn't a new idea, I've got one...TCSS has just been out of stock on them for a year or more...and when TCSS had them they were sold separately of any box of course...this new box just makes an easier solution for mounting them. I would hope and presume that even if/when TCSS makes a PLI box they would/will continue to offer the PLI by itself as previously so that people could explore other mounting options. Because of the convenient grommet holes mounting the PLI flush/recessed isn't so onerously hard if you have skilz for dremelling a slot in the outer part of hilt/sinktube and drill-and-tapping a couple screws...this is a little less elegant with visible screwheads but another option is mounting the PLI to an internal chassis thus only the slot would be necessary. Boxes would make everything easier though, especially those of us 'dremel-fu'-challenged like myself. BRAVO to Strydur for trying to find a way for us...I'm sure I'll want one of whatever style of box he decides on.

yes!..

it will stop me from doing things like this:

and trying to find some sort of 'cover' (usually thin plastic or thin frosted plastic)

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...highlight=PLI*

I think I sent both Erik & Randy some sketches on a non-plastic/custom version I wanted to get made..

this all 'personal' taste/opinion

1.) way to mount it finally
    2.) that is has a milled out line/window for the leds to shine through (and nothing else showing)
    3.) box is fin.. although low profile is always big 'cool factor' point.

not-likes:

1.) mount style.. (although I cant suggest a 'great' alternative).. maybe try counter sinking screw holes? so you dont have to big honking screw heads on each end of th ebox?

2.) a 'central' type mouting system leads to more mounting locations.. (like on a 2" piece)
    without interfering with threads.... I guess rigidness might come into play here..

not really a dis-like.. maybe alternate suggestions..
    I like the idea of getting a 'part' (say 2/3" extension) with a milled window to internally house the PLI unit. maybe some sort of 'ring' mounting approach (or whatever)..??

if kept 'as is'.. maybe some sort of switch intergration features.. even if it just the cheaper momentary/lathign styles buttons you do/can ro want to stock? of course nothing that will increase the footprint.

thanks

Banned Sith Lord

intead of thinking out of the box lets think inside the box. or does this go the toher way around. well you will get what im getting at here.

instead of mounting it in a box externally. lets make a small modual that mounts INTERNALLY inside the hilt but doesnt take up a full diameter worth of space. only about half. that way you could get wires past it and still have a little space.

granted it would make assembly that much more tricky. (LDM could do it. ) but i think it would give the saber a nice streamlined look, and still have a sort of easy way to get it all together.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would vote you sell the PLI by itself.

and then have 2-3 different box styles for it to fit into.

It would be nice if there was a way you could mount it almost flush to the MHS pieces.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

some delrin backing plate could be a simple internal mounting solution.. (still see some button head screws on the outside.. but no box.. milled window for led display..

simple, cheap..

an internal 'non-screw' mount from the outside would be optimal however..