Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Momentary Switch

Default Momentary Switch

Ok I'm sure I'm just being paranoid... but again as most of you know I just got my parts for my first saber. I got the SPST Momentary Red standard switch because I am going to wire into an economy hasbro board. My switch barely feels like it moves. It depresses maybe a millimeter or 2... no click or anything.
    Is this normal for a momentary switch?

Also I asked this question before I ordered it but I still don't see why it works this way.... but to double check: I do not have to hold the switch down for it to stay on... correct?

Push once... = on...
    Push again... = off...?

I haven't used that actual switch so can't comment on how much travel the plunger should have but I can say that a momentary switch only works whilst the button is held down.

For

Push once... = on...
    Push again... = off..

you would require a latching switch.

However I believe the Hasbro board uses a monentary switch to trigger the circuit with the first push turning it on and a second push turning it off.
    Last edited by Ade Kenobi; 10-22-2009 at 03:27 PM.

For Momentary switches you HAVE to hold them down for them to be on. That's why they are 'Momentary'. once you lift your finger they will turn off, that is why there is no click.

Furthest reaches of the Galaxy (Scotland)

not entirely true I use one of the guarded momentary switches on my saber that has an economy hasbro board and you press the switch once to turn it on and pres it again to turn it off, so no holding down of the switch required

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Clockwork, are you thinking of a direct drive set up?

That wouldn't really make sense to use a momentary switch for that.

Dendore, only latching switches "click", that's the latching mechanism you hear and feel.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Lawrs1: Only because the cheap hasbro boards generally require a momentary to activate the board. The switch, which is what is in question, will only be 'on' if you hold it down.

Loreen: No I was just referring to the switch being open (off) or closed (on). I wasn't referring to the saber itself, just the switch
    Last edited by Clockwork; 10-22-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: to save from double posting

Well I am more concerned about the saber being on than the switch itself so I guess I phrased that poorly. But with the hasbro soundboard I won't have to hold the button to keep the saber on correct?

One push on, next push off. The switch opens the circuit on the board. Then the board maintains it until a second press. You have the correct switch.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, the way a momentary switch works in a raw LED-Battery setup is you have to hold it down for it to stay on.

When you incorperate a sound board (like a Hasbro or Ultrasound) one press
    "closes" the connection, and when you push the switch again it "opens" the connection and turns the saber off.

So, in short: you've got the right switch and will work fine.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    OK, the way a momentary switch works in a raw LED-Battery setup is you have to hold it down for it to stay on.

When you incorperate a sound board (like a Hasbro or Ultrasound) one press
    "closes" the connection, and when you push the switch again it "opens" the connection and turns the saber off.

So, in short: you've got the right switch and will work fine.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was trying to find this information because the videos that I've watched looked like they showed momentary switches with the soundboards.

Along the same line, if you order the sound/speaker/battery combo from TCSS and have it preprogrammed, can you go into the menu and change your original settings?