Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Luxeon LED color confusion

If I were going for a Qui-Gon, I'd aim for a bin 4 or 5 Cyan. I'm pretty sure I've got a bin 3 in my MR Luke ANH (2007) conversion, and it's a teal-kelly green sort of thing.
    "In the battle with one's self, there can be no winner, for the victor and vanquished are one and the same"

-Me

Quote Originally Posted by SpectreT65 View Post
    If I were going for a Qui-Gon, I'd aim for a bin 4 or 5 Cyan. I'm pretty sure I've got a bin 3 in my MR Luke ANH (2007) conversion, and it's a teal-kelly green sort of thing.
    Thanks for that Spectre...I have teal eyes and my maternal maternal ancestors are Kellys and my True Love's name is Kelly...so I guess I'll HAVE to find myself a bin 3 cyan LED now! LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Thanks for that Spectre...I have teal eyes and my maternal maternal ancestors are Kellys and my True Love's name is Kelly...so I guess I'll HAVE to find myself a bin 3 cyan LED now! LOLOL
    E-mail is a wonderful thing!

Quote Originally Posted by warehouse@theledlight.com
    For the LB5C we have 6 pieces of Bin 5 and about a dozen Bin 3 but no Bin 6
    You'll have to pay a bit more, I'm afraid, but you'll find what you're looking for as long as you specify your bin request
    Ore no kono te ga makka ni moeru!
    Shouri wo tsukameto todoroki sakebu!
    BaaaaAAAAKUNETSU!
    GOOOOODUUU FINGAAAAAAAAAA!

Default Cyan blade wanted for build

I know there is no guarantee, but I am looking for a blue-green blade which would look roughly sea-colored, aqua. I think Bin 3 would be too green, and perhaps Bin 2 would be too blue. What bin number would be closest for this? Or should I just order cyan Luxeon III and install what I get? I like the deep blue-green color if I can get it. I will put that under "Notes" when I order but I don't know what bin I should request...

I want to build a Luxeon III saber and really want the pure color as opposed to white with a filter.

Still an "Ultra-NOOB"

Loremaster
    Last edited by Loremaster; 05-01-2009 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to tell something
    May the Force be with you, and may you rest in the love and care of the Divine.

cyan bin 1 is the light BLUE color.. the higher the cyan bin # the more grean it looks.

so a 2 would be more green then the pure CYAN everyone covets for.. # would be more..etc.. You should email Tim before.. I think if it states cyan it is CYAN (bin1)..

Back when Corbin and I first began contacting one another we both ran into this same problem. I ended up having to purchase about 120 Lux III Cyans (Bin 1 -True Cyan) to get the exact color that I wanted. At that time I was supplying them to Corbin who was in turn selling them when he still had his Corbin's Components website. So anyone who got their hands on this color back in 2005- 2006 or so (for saber building at least) likely got it from Corbin or me.

The color you want for an aqua, sky blue, or turquoise color is BIN 1. With Cyan, the higher the BIN number, the more green, the lower, the more blue.

Just to give you an idea, this is how the color binning chart works for Luxeon III LED's:
    Imagine an LED color fading between these colors basically going through the spectrum

White
    3 fades into
    Royal Blue
    3 fades into
    Blue
    3 fades into
    Cyan
    3 fades into
    Green
    3 fades into
    Amber
    3 fades into
    Red Orange
    3 fades into
    Red

Hopefully this should help end some of the confusion. Trust me, I had to learn all about this and spend well over a thousand dollars to get the exact color that I wanted! hahaha

Psab Keel
    Follow Your Bliss

Talking Thanks, Psab!

That puts it all in focus...haha...for me. Thanks for writing that out! I am going to print that and keep it for my files.

Loremaster
    May the Force be with you, and may you rest in the love and care of the Divine.

Glad I could help! The datasheets from the Lumileds sight is helpful but can be overwhelming to read as well, so I hope this can break it down simply enough for anyone looking to find a specific color (at least with Lux III's).

Psab
    Follow Your Bliss

ok now im realy confused . are the lux 3 cyans more blue then the lux v s?? i hav a bin 2 lux v cyan and it looks very green to my eyes

the bin # is what declares the 'shade'.. the higher the bin# the more green it looks..