Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Luxeon LED color confusion

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

Default Luxeon LED color confusion

Lately I have had a few customers think they got the wrong color LED from me. So I did some research into how this all works. Luxeon has a code on the back of every LED that displays among other things the Bin color. On most LED's the bin color is listed by the 2nd digit from the top left. The color is determined by what wavelength it falls into as shown in this chart.

As you can see a Cyan LED with a bin code of 5 would be damn near Green while a Cyan with a bin code of 2 would be almost Blue. As far as I know the only way you can order a specific bin from Luxeon is to buy around 1000 LED's at a time. As such I cannot guarantee which bin you will get when you purchase a LED from me. You can request in the notes section of your order that you get the lowest or highest bin I have available. As in while ordering a Cyan you want one as blue as I have you would ask for the lowest bin I have. I hope this clears up a few misconceptions.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Would it be possible for you to keep us updated with what color bins you have available?

What would be awesome is if you had a bin option on the item page in the store, complete with comparison pics, but that sounds like a lot of work...

Owner of the Custom Saber shop Strydur's Avatar

A lot of work indeed. This option see you shall not.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop

Hi guys
    I don't offer options for various bins either, except for bin 1 cyan. You never know what bin LEDs you're going to get till you open the package. That's just how it is.
    I've used some bin 6 cyans before and they looked almost pastel green. It was a nice color I thought.

Corbin Das

Corbin@CorbinsComponents.com

Bump. This is a good sticky for some people to re-visit, including Ryma--who is looking for an ORANGE blade.

This would require an LED that is somewhere in the 600nm or 605nm range. Even then, no guarantees what it would produce.

But certainly if people are looking for specific shades of color--they will want to get educated on the "binning" process!

SO:

"Warned you we tried. Listen you did not. Now screwed we all will be!!"

~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Soooo.... I'm sure somone somwhere somtime has experimented and found this out.... which bin for green is most movie accurate? I am helping my brother make a luke ROTJ saber, and he wants the most accurate 5w possible...

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Hi Luke... you might want to check the "blade color movie accurate" thread thing... can't remember where it is...

The short of it is that the sabers change colors more often than many change their shorts... The blue sabers are all over the map, and even Mace's saber gets down, gets down, jungle-boogey style.

Not to mention Luke's ROTJ blade was changed from blue to green as a decision so that his blade wasn't going to be "washed" out when contrasted to the sky color out on the Jabba barge / sarlacc thingy scene.

So, when it comes to "movie" accuracy...

...looks like you'll want an LED with some kind of bloody IDENTITY CRISIS.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar
    Hi Luke... you might want to check the "blade color movie accurate" thread thing... can't remember where it is...

The short of it is that the sabers change colors more often than many change their shorts... The blue sabers are all over the map, and even Mace's saber gets down, gets down, jungle-boogey style.

Not to mention Luke's ROTJ blade was changed from blue to green as a decision so that his blade wasn't going to be "washed" out when contrasted to the sky color out on the Jabba barge / sarlacc thingy scene.

So, when it comes to "movie" accuracy...

...looks like you'll want an LED with some kind of bloody IDENTITY CRISIS.

an RGB driven by a board that constantly switches its color between shades of blue and green

Ryma Mara

That blade movie color topic has only been done with blue as far as I have seen.

The person said they were gonna do green but I dont he ever got around to it.

ok, let me rephrase that....
    Which is least blue and most like EL lime? (maybie not quite that yellow...)

I seem to recall Corbin saying that he had done a bin test for green...

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.