Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question about accent LED's

Default question about accent LED's

I have a quick question. I have an accent LED array planned out. I have the wiring diagram, resistance, power supply, everything planned. What I want to know is whats the best way to soldering everything? I mean do I just solder each individual LED to each so I just have a web of LED's (6 total). I am soldering 6, 4 pin LED's all six will be running off one power source and triggered using a mom switch.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Soldering them all together isn't going to work, since the slots you're lighting up are in different spots on your Lancer, even though they are sort of clustered at the same end of it. I'd want each LED centered at each slot, myself.

I'd solder wired onto them. Then you're going to have to figure out how you're going to mount them.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

mounting them I dont think will be an issue. This is how I invision the wiring. I am just trying to avoid a rats nest of wires thats all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I thought it was suggested that you wire them in series-parallel? That looks like just series.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

ok hmmmmm so this is what I used to figure out how to wire them up.
    http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
    I just pluged in the values and thats the diagram it gave me.
    well it was more like the one I posted in an earlier post http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...t=11296&page=2 . but If I could figure out how to do it so I dont have to use a resistor on each LED I would love that.
    Last edited by morpheus1977; 08-27-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That looks like parallel to me. If you wire them all in parallel it should work, since they are only accent LEDs.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

OMG this is making my head spin LOL I definitly have respect for all the saber smiths out there..

You can use a resistor for more than one LED, in parallel, but they'd need to be very close to the same (the same color, same manuf) to ensure equal brightness.

You may need a higher Wattage resistor, depending on how many you wire in parallel (1/2 watt instead of 1/4 watt), etc.

resistor -> split off to two leds+

instead of putting the resistors out at the LEDs, you could wire a small perforated circuit board with the resistors, and then extend wires out to your LEDs Makes for a less bulky wires out near the mounting points

bring in + voltage onto the board, bridge it out to one side of all the resistors, lined up, and then from there, out to your LEDs. Return either to the board, or another ground within the saber capable of handling the current.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Series would be going from the Batt + to 1 LED +, from that LED - to the next LED +, from this LED - to the batt -. If the LEDs are 3 Volts and 20 mA, that will use 6 Volts and 20 mA. If you wire them in parallel it would be the batt + to ALL the LED + and the batt - to ALL the LED -. If you are using 2 LEDs like in the series example you would only use 3 Volts and 40 mA. So, a series voltage will require a lot more voltage but only use a little current and a parallel circuit will use the Forward voltage of the LED and the current use would be the sum of all the LED currents.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhan View Post
    You can use a resistor for more than one LED, in parallel, but they'd need to be very close to the same (the same color, same manuf) to ensure equal brightness.

1 You may need a higher Wattage resistor, depending on how many you wire in parallel (1/2 watt instead of 1/4 watt), etc.

2resistor -> split off to two leds+

3 instead of putting the resistors out at the LEDs, you could wire a small perforated circuit board with the resistors, and then extend wires out to your LEDs Makes for a less bulky wires out near the mounting points

4 bring in + voltage onto the board, bridge it out to one side of all the resistors, lined up, and then from there, out to your LEDs. Return either to the board, or another ground within the saber capable of handling the current.

1 Yea I was planning on using the 1/2 watt and these are all identical LED's. So that I dont have to worry about.

2 I thought you wired the resistor of off the neg pin of an LED.

3 I think I get what you are talking about with the board. I will have to pick one up on the way home and play with it this weekend.

4 ya totally lost me on that one LOL. ( am sure it would make total since to me if I could see it I am a total visual learner.)
    Last edited by morpheus1977; 08-27-2010 at 02:44 PM.