Thread: Noob questions

Question Newb questions

Hello there forumites,

I'm new here and have a couple of questions about the blades.

1. What are the differences between the TCSS Battle Blade and the Corbin stlyle Battle Blade?

2. Do you need to put screws into the blade holder to keep the blade in place? If so, how far down does the blade go into the holder so you know where to put it or them?

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Lan-Ja Hamil; 10-24-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: I found out I am not a noob.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Answers:

1: They are both 1/8" walled, which is why they are called "Battle Blades". The only difference is the type of diffuser used inside them. The TCSS blade has an opaque tube as a diffuser and the Corbin blade has a special type of film in it that creates sort of a "core" effect.

2: Yes. Only one screw is needed, it creates friction by pressing the blade tightly against the other side of the blade holder socket. The blade sockets are about 2" deep. Some people like to put their blade retention screw in the middle of the socket area, some like to put it closer to the outer end. Sometimes it's a preference with how it fits with the blade holder design.

You can use either a thumb screw, or a set screw, which you will need an allen wrench for. Again, it's a matter of aesthetics and what looks good to you with the particular blade holder design.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Question

Im wondering what is the difference in weight between the lighter & heaver blades? Is there a huge difference in feel & speed or minute?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That, someone else will have to answer, since I only have the thick walled blades.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Personally, I've never noticed a great deal of difference once they're in the hilt. Outside the hilt, there is a little difference, but the polycarbonate is light enough it's not appreciable or even really noticeable once I have it in.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Unless you're beating up trees, or sparring against people with Bokkens or Shinai, I wouldn't bother with the thickwalled blades. They also reduce brightness compared to the thinwalled. I do find a difference in balance point with the thin Vs. thick. I find I don't have to choke up on the hilt as much with the thinwalled.

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Do I need a heat sink for a Seoul P4? I ordered a kit from here and it didn't come with one, but I didn't want to assume "no".

Also, my saber's inside kinda looks like this (see how this goes...)

--------------------------------------------------------wall
    _______________--------------------------------------
    1 inch

-----------------________________1.25 inch__________
    __________________________________________________ wall

So how do I place the led so that the tube when entered stops where it needs to?

Quote Originally Posted by Synbios16 View Post
    Do I need a heat sink for a Seoul P4? I ordered a kit from here and it didn't come with one, but I didn't want to assume "no".

Also, my saber's inside kinda looks like this (see how this goes...)

--------------------------------------------------------wall
    _______________--------------------------------------
    1 inch

-----------------________________1.25 inch__________
    __________________________________________________ wall

So how do I place the led so that the tube when entered stops where it needs to?
    Yes, you need a heatsink...the electronics kits don't come with them, because the heatsink come with the MHS blade holder/emitters. The kits are put together for use in an MHS based saber.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.