Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MPS Clip?

Default MPS Clip?

So I got the parts for my first build in.... how exactly does the MPS clip fit with the pommel insert and into the pommel?

Use needle-nose pliers to get it down the pommel. Of course have the pommel cap installed first before using the C-clip ;o
    twitch.tv/sigfreda

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

There's a groove in the inside of the pommel, you can kind of see it in this pic:

The insert goes in, and the clip goes into the groove after it to hold the insert in place.

There's a special tool called "C-clip" pliers, or "retaining ring pliers" that is supposed to be used for it.

I've heard of people using bent needle nose pliers or even hemostats in the holes to compress the so that it fits into the groove before releasing it.

Some people will just try a screwdriver and a hammer, though this kind of damages the inside of the pommel.

Whatever method is chosen must be used with extreme care. Those rings are under a lot if tension when you compress them and can pop out and fly across the room, or hit you in the face.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I bought a c clip but found it to bothersome...i used a dab of adhesive on the rim of the pommel, pressed my insert into it and wiped off the excess from the outside...haven't had a problem yet, although i don't hit the end of it with enough force to shove it back out...

Here is a pic, sorry about the grainy quality of a phone photo...

Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

I just don't see how this physically works. I'll need to get some needle nose pliers I guess to try it out though. I can't get it in with the pliers I have. Or the c-clip pliers... can those be picked up at any hardware store?

That is a snap ring & therefore you should have, you guessed it, snap ring pliers. Should be able to find them at hardware store.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    There's a groove in the inside of the pommel, you can kind of see it in this pic:

{snip}

Whatever method is chosen must be used with extreme care. Those rings are under a lot if tension when you compress them and can pop out and fly across the room, or hit you in the face.
    That was a great answer! With pic and a bonus safety tip.

Is the procedure reversible? Otherwise, I'll need to anodize and such before putting in the snap ring.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonStar View Post
    That was a great answer! With pic and a bonus safety tip.

Is the procedure reversible? Otherwise, I'll need to anodize and such before putting in the snap ring.
    You could use a rubber o-ring too in place of the clip.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, the snap ring/c-clip can come out. You just compress the ends again and pull it out.

This works best with the correct tool, of course.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

You could use a rubber o-ring too in place of the clip.
    I read that on the descriptions page of the item, but the O-ring just seemed too big...any secrets? This would be my preferred way of doing this...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~