Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What switch should I use?? touch or illuminated?

Lightbulb What switch should I use?? touch or illuminated?

ok I finished my 1st saber for the most part exept one final touch. The switch! I have a touch sensitive MOMENTARY switch that installs easy and fits with plenty of space left, it's simple and TOUCH! but i would have to get a latching relay, as seen here:

But I also have a cool billet LATCHING switch that has an orenge led ring and a leser engraving but is hard to fit and I will have to fabricate an extender or something. like this:

so the question is which should I install? also any idea on a latching relay i could use? I'm running on 6v.

BTW this is what my saber looks like:

this LED flashes between 5 diff colors

this is where the switch will go

Have you thought about using the 3 terminal charge port connector for the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Have you thought about using the 3 terminal charge port connector for the switch?
    I have one at the end of my pommel with a kill key. when I pull it out the ring led on the switch should lightup. I already have it wired and conected to an illuminated switch but its garbage and not latching and square.

BTW how is my work for a first time?
    Last edited by davidg1904; 10-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Um, what?

That sounds more like a kill key, than a switch. He'd have to pull out the key at push it in to turn it off and on. If you're talking about what I think you are.

Not very "Jedi" like.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I like the see through lighted center section. What are you trying to switch. Typically people use the power port for main power on & a momentary to activate Driver board. If you have a buck puck you don't have to have a relay but your switch needs to handle the current probably 1amp?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I like the see through lighted center section. What are you trying to switch. Typically people use the power port for main power on & a momentary to activate Driver board. If you have a buck puck you don't have to have a relay but your switch needs to handle the current probably 1amp?
    I dont have a driver board it was out of my budget at the moment plus my saber is only 13/16" on the inside so I cant realy fit one. drats!!!!

btw i'm switching on the accent led and the blade LED

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK I would vote for the touch switch- it would blend into the hilt rather nicely.
    the only drawback is that everytime you duel with it, the saber will turn off everytime you bump it....

BTW- I have been looking for a switch just like that. Where did you get it?
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    OK I would vote for the touch switch- it would blend into the hilt rather nicely.
    the only drawback is that everytime you duel with it, the saber will turn off everytime you bump it....

BTW- I have been looking for a switch just like that. Where did you get it?
    it took a while to find it. the people don't normally sell to end user but I got them to send one as "a sample"
    It is from "Baran Tec inc." in clifton, NJ
    P# SMF1AAW1N
    I talked to Diane T. Bersen VP sales

Smile

Yes the latching switch is cool. Just make sure it will handle the load (current).

Talking

ok so one for touch and one for illuminated. Anyone else help make a tie breaker?