Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sink-Tub/Pop-up Assembly saber

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't understand what you mean about using a "set screw and a retention screw". Unless you're erroneously calling the threaded insert a "set screw", which it is not.

You can't use those threaded inserts on a blade holder, they are too long, the threads in them are too far apart and the blade holder isn't thick enough. Where Jay-gon uses them they are going through 2 pieces of PVC. I don't even know if they would cut their own threads into aluminum or not.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    I don't understand what you mean about using a "set screw and a retention screw". Unless you're erroneously calling the threaded insert a "set screw", which it is not.
    haha, you just hit the nail on the head... wow. and i thank you for that.

You can't use those threaded inserts on a blade holder, they are too long, the threads in them are too far apart and the blade holder isn't thick enough. Where Jay-gon uses them they are going through 2 pieces of PVC. I don't even know if they would cut their own threads into aluminum or not.
    okay okay, that clears up the last of my concerns now. And it turns out the end of my hilt is mostly plastic with a chrome finish (I tried to see what I could do with making it look 'used' and took a rotary tool to an inconspicuous part of it (assuming the chrome layer was over brass, just as the sink tube). I only took a very tiny flake of chrome off and got to the gray plastic.) But you know what, I consider this a learning experience, and it's not like there's no turning back; if I screw it up I can go to Lowe's and get a new emitter end for 8 bucks or a 12" sink tube for about the same price, machining it to look cool. (I didn't realize I had a rotary tool in my basement until last week, ha.)

and if i continue to look dumb doing this, by all means tell me what I'm saying wrong. I'm not really ashamed of being wrong, especially when this is my first saber and first time really getting a 'do it yourself' experience with metals, wiring, and the whole setup really.

and if all fails with the screw madness, is it possible that I could use 'stuffing' to make a tight fix with the blade? I'm not that concerned with being able to remove it, and if it's not as easy as unscrewing a screw, then i'll have to figure it out from there. If I did that, what material should/shouldn't I use? (i've got sticky tack, electrical tape, I could cram some paper or clothe in there, who knows what.) Heck, if things continue to get weird and screwy (not pun intended) maybe the blade is a tight fit into the blade holder anyway. doubtful, but possible imo.

so my saber turned out really well, though I had to buy and machine a new piece of sinktube. Everyone that's seen it is impressed, so I'm happy. I only really had trouble soldering all the connections, and the heatsink didn't align properly with the LED star, but I worked around it despite having some iffy wire bendings.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

So where's the pics?

I don't understand why you had problems with the heat sink they're designed for LED stars to fit right. It's probably something you weren't doing quite right.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!