Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sink-Tub/Pop-up Assembly saber

In my opinion the thicker parts of your saber ruin the lines. Those are the large nut on the threaded section, the grip, and the pommel. If I were you I'd unscrew the emitter "sink drain" and then unthread the large nut. I'd use something else for the grip. Do-Clo posted a nice O-ring/heatshrink combo that would look good with this saber. I'd also find something else for the pommel that is slimmer.

To show you what I mean I have mocked up a similar saber in the spirit of yours. It's the same kind of sink tube with a simple beveled emitter and some random car part I found in the parking lot of a local taqueria as the pommel. I shoved the polycarbonate dome of an LED air valve cover in the hole. This isn'a working saber, just put it together here after reading your post.

Link to full gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    You need a thumb screw or a set screw, not both. Have you been reading posts by Crystal Chambers?

A thumb screw can be a little ugly on some sabers, but you don't need a tool for it when you want to loosen it to remove your blade.

A set screw is more unobtrusive, but you will need a hex key/allen wrench for it.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about what drill and tap set you need for those screws. They are both 8/32, so you need the 8/32 drill and tap set. Make sense?

On the Store page, it also tells you that you need a 5/64 allen wrench for the set screw.

The other dimension listed with screws is the length.

In case you're wondering, the 8 has to do with the diameter of the screw, and the 32 is how many threads it has per inch.
    Oh I figured it all out, and bought it. I took another look at Jay-Gon's PVC thread, and it reassured me about all that. And if I got an extra screw, so be it.

and dragon, that's all design features. Nice mockup though, and frankly I'm jealous that you made such a confident one, but then happy cuz you made it for my sake, and a thousand thanks to you good sir. But really, this is all cheap stuff, real simple to take apart. I think I might make the grip with a different material to make it more shallow, but I like the other parts. The 'pommel' makes it easy to put a D-ring belt clip on (with a screw, a washer, and a sink strainer). and I have thought about taking off the emitter part to make it look slimmer, but basically I'm still flip-flopping between what parts get to stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie162 View Post
    I think I might make the grip with a different material to make it more shallow, but I like the other parts.
    Well, that (and functionality) is all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    You need a thumb screw or a set screw, not both. Have you been reading posts by Crystal Chambers?

A thumb screw can be a little ugly on some sabers, but you don't need a tool for it when you want to loosen it to remove your blade.

A set screw is more unobtrusive, but you will need a hex key/allen wrench for it.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about what drill and tap set you need for those screws. They are both 8/32, so you need the 8/32 drill and tap set. Make sense?

On the Store page, it also tells you that you need a 5/64 allen wrench for the set screw.

The other dimension listed with screws is the length.

In case you're wondering, the 8 has to do with the diameter of the screw, and the 32 is how many threads it has per inch.
    Hey now....I said a retention screw. I see I wasn't the only one confused by Jay-gon's PVC thread.

Personally in your situation I would opt to go with a 12"chrome plated brass sinktube then the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Hey now....I said a retention screw. I see I wasn't the only one confused by Jay-gon's PVC thread.

Personally in your situation I would opt to go with a 12"chrome plated brass sinktube then the plastic.
    again, that's personal preference. Though, I have considered making another sink tube, this time machined with style... I might do that once I get the money.

and as far as the retention screw stuff... well I bought a set screw and a retention screw, so sue me. I kinda liked the idea of being able to easily loosen the blade with the thumbscrew, yet not having to thread the hole for it. it's much easier for me to do it that way, plus I'm liking this whole 'made out of whatever's lying arond' idea (despite the blade.)

Really, I'm just going for basics for now. Once I can afford more jazz, Ima get myself the sound, which, depending on all the specifics, can hopefully add the effect of it going out of and returning into the hilt.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nothing wrong with starting out basic, getting a feel for the techniques, then working up from there when you have more money to do so.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Don't you still need to thread a hole for your retention screw? I think either screw you get you will need this. The one Jay-gon used on pvc wasn't a set screw, it just looks alot like one, and with all the info to retain it's easy to make that mistake.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes you need to drill and tap for the blade retention screw in the blade holder.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

so I still need to make a threaded hole for the set screw? I've decided I'd rather use a set screw and retention screw... I can do that, can't I? Put the set screw at a decent spot, and just use the retention screw (inside the set screw) normally?

I just don't want to have to thread a hole. I don't really have the best tools for that, and don't feel like buying them

EDIT: or buy the furniture/set screw that jay-gonn used so I don't have to thread the hole?