Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First Custom Saber Concept and List

Default First Custom Saber Concept and List

No name yet. Maybe just Hyndarus for now. It's not the most original design, but I like the simple lightsabers, they look more like a weapon and a tool than decoration. Not designed for lights and blades right now....cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks all!

MHS ribbed extension v-grooved

LED blade holder style 18

MHS choke style 1

MPS Pommel style 7

5" Double female threaded connector

3/4" D-Ring

D-ring belt mount

MPS Insert style 6

MPS Clip

10-32 x 3/8" Red Acetal thumb screw

10-32 x 13/32" Thumb Screw

4-40 Nylon Screw

Graflex Red Button Replica Thumbscrew (when available)

6 Piece 3.6" Rubber Grips (when available)
    Last edited by Waek_Hyndarus; 10-19-2009 at 02:53 AM.

I believe you need a set screw to insert your thumb screw into for your blade retention.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    I believe you need a set screw to insert your thumb screw into for your blade retention.
    Actually, yu just need on or te other. It is no necessary to have both. Anyways you cannot inserta thumbscrew INTO the set scew. All you need to do is drill a hole and tap it, so it will match the threads of the screw of choice.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

I'd lose the choke & change the thumb screw for a set screw. 13.5" is too long for me generally, and the set screw will keep that emitter looking flush.

Other than that, it's a design i'd gladly have in my collection.

It's your design at the end of the day though.
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Huh? Have you been doing any reading about saber construction?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I think maybe she meant to say a set screw HOLE JLo...I actually made the same mistake in a post yesterday [said "get Strydur to drill and tap a screw" rather than a screw hole, DOH] and had to edit it, so its a mistake even an old timer can make [or maybe I'm going senile?] lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmic Rin View Post
    I'd lose the choke & change the thumb screw for a set screw. 13.5" is too long for me generally, and the set screw will keep that emitter looking flush.
    Wow, the only post here with an opinion of the actual saber and they want me to change it! *sniffle*

Just kidding, Barmic.

Actually, 13.8" is what I wanted. The part of the saber actually being use as the grip will be a clean 9". Now, I made sure it was that way because of size comparison. I own a Valiant Armoury practical long sword, a functional broadsword. The handle is two handed, and 7.5" in length. That size of handle fits my hands perfectly, but doesn't allow for much play. So the 9" grip design here is made specifically for my big paws, and to give me about an inch and a half of play in the grip.

As for the thumbscrew in the emitter, I'm not getting a blade for it right away. I put it there because I wanted it there...it adds a tad bit of character.

Hope that makes good sense...it does to me at least, lol
    Last edited by Waek_Hyndarus; 10-19-2009 at 11:26 AM.

That actually does make sense if you have large hands Waek...the 10-12" of most movie sabers is just a guideline afterall so if your saber is longer but works better for you that is all that matters.

Nice design btw...personally I'd use the shorter choke but I have smaller hands. That's the great thing about the modular hilt system: like Harveys you can "have it YOUR way".

Personally, I'd like the shorter choke too. But the store is out of it. Then again I suppose I could wait. Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Huh? Have you been doing any reading about saber construction?
    Yes! Obviously. Jay-gons PVC thread. Most threads aren't so comprehensive. Thanks for rubbing that in instead of just correcting. Should change the site to Custom Saber Reading .com.

How come when I put the two parts in my part list no one questioned/corrected me?