Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravy's Light whip 2.0

Thanks to Nova for the video and the great time this weekend. That sounds a little dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOHsRtmxzms

That video is awesome! It definitely shows the strengths of the lightwhip, as well as the drawbacks. Very instructive, and very cool!

3:47 made me cringe. Something like that happened to me in a fencing class once, but I imagine a whip would hurt quite a bit more.

I do remember that when Luke took on Lumiya, he brought along a specially-constructed shoto. I think that'd probably help, but also I think a lot of his in-book ability to defend himself against the whip was because he could sense the blows coming through Force-based precognition.

Still, I think what one gains with the whip versus a lightsaber you might lose against blasters... so my combat strategy against a lightwhip? Massed automatic fire, baby!

Still can't get over how cool the whip turned out, though!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, you've convinced me....

that's what a back up blaster is for!!!!

It looked like the users of the whip got hit more than you did though.

I'd still take a double blade anyday... just not againt a whip.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Yeah that lightwhip is all kinds of MAJOR awesomeness...against one saber no contest...against two sabers to block at two separated points so the whip can't coil around to strike...hmmm maybe not so clear cut, in theory anyway...but I suspect it would take a LOT of skill in 'Jar-Kai' to space the two blades correctly to EFFECTIVELY block a whip...plus darn good LUCK [and Jedi precognition]. Methinks Kant has the better counter-whip solution: full auto blaster with a high rate of fire; even with Jedi precog a whipper couldnt do much Soresu BBD with a flexy whip...or better yet blast the whipper with a [Star-Wars-ized] shotgun eh?

We can talk theories all day and night, but until things get demonstrated with some kind of concrete result... it's all pie-in-da-sky.

As to dual sabers vs. the whip... well, Mark (Caine Druthul) said he'd like to try that. I'll figure out a way to wield a whip (I suppose I can just use my makeshift "Jones Whip" attachment that people might have seen here... or do something comparable for the experiment.

My predictions for the dual-wielding vs. whip = ... today is not your day--tomorrow doesn't look good either. At least, for the mostpart. It MIGHT offer a bit more in the line of defense, but... I honestly think Mark won't be able to even strike me. Well... not before I strike him. And again, even if he is able to defend and get close... it will likely result in the dreaded double-kill. Yuck.

As to blasters vs. sabers/whips... um, I guess if we want to go into "that zone", you have nerf guns that can fire a lot of rounds (I have a video coming demonstrating this vs. a saber in a simple way)... but the REALITY of a human blocking even a simple projectile of ~1" or < in diameter with a 1" OD polycarbonate tube = fairly poor results, even under ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions meaning... the shooter is just firing to let the saber-wielder "have fun" and try deflecting. So... as if they have no intention of charging in or moving around or even firing in a random fashion. It's *HELLA* hard to stop incoming nerf shots with a 1" polytube. It is *NOT* akin to baseball bat & ball. Not a bit of it.

Is the concept of a "whip vs. nerf blaster" worth bringing up?? No. No. Not a chance. No. Not. Nada. Zilch. Zero. It would be complete and utter luck if you were to achieve a "whipflection".

Especially when you consider that the whip's OD is like < 0.5". GOOD LUCK!! :P
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Well I thought my answer indicated I was looking at it from an 'in universe' perspective not "reality" hence terms like "lightwhip" "Jar-Kai" "blasters" etc. and not "bullwhip", "Florentine style", or "submachinegun" so I don't know where "the REALITY of a HUMAN [emphasis added] blocking..." comes into it. In Star Wars, where lightsabers exist, fictionally, Jedi are SUPERhuman so the possibility of deflecting a "blaster bolt" [which seems about as ridiculously slow as a nerf projectile] with a combination of super-speed and precognition may not be so absurd...if you want to drag REALITY into it though then sure HUMANS cant deflect even relatively slow .45 ACP 230 gr 850fps from a Mac 10 32rdsx1200RPM even with a solid titanium stick any better than a polycarbonate one...but Kant's point about blasters [or submachine guns] if I understood it correctly was that if "lightwhip beats lightsaber" [or bullwhip beats rapier]then "blaster beats lightwhip" [or SMG beats bullwhip] in the rock-paper-scissors of such things...

...though personally I prefer rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock, but once you bring Spock into it everything goes awry...

I don't disagree at all with your "prediction"...indeed I expect you'll be proven absolutely right...in "REALITY" of a human" demonstrations of TOY/PROP 'lightsabers' dual-wielded versus a 'lightwhip' TOY/PROP versus TOY/PROP Nerf 'blasters'.

As I would expect to be the case of dual rapiers vs bullwhips vs SMGs.

But of course if REAL precognitive superhumans wielding them with superspeed existed the results might be very different for real lightsabers, real lightwhips, and real blasters, if those existed, than in testing by HUMANS.

For that matter if precognitive superhumans existed to wield our real rapiers versus our real bullwhips versus our real SMGs the results might be different than those being wielded by us real humans too...but we can't KNOW how...

So in stepping beyond Theory to Experimentation we need to in mind before drawing conclusions about how LIGHTwhips *might* fare against LIGHTsabers that they ONLY 'exist' at all in a fictional milieu where exist wielders who are NOT us mere humans...to draw conclusions towards UNreal weapons from 'reality' demonstrations without accounting for that is like changing only one side of an equation...bad math...bad Method.

I agree with your prediction...I'd like to see the experiment...but it wont prove how lightwhips would perform against lightsabers if they actually existed wielded by actual Jedi/Sith if they actually existed.

Theoreticians should always yield to the results of Experimentalists...as long as the experiment addresses the theoretical question validly...with fictional weapons predicated upon a fictional milieu wherein superhuman capabilities exist that cannot be accounted for experimentally in our Reality with mere human experimental subjects no valid experimental conclusions towards lightwhips or lightsabers can be drawn...thus it falls back into the bailiwick of us theoreticians

But it sure is fun to watch that great vid...

From an in-universe perspective, I doubt a blaster would be any more effective against a lightwhip than it would be against a lightsaber. Then again, I'm not entirely sure how a lightsaber blade "works". Does the blaster bolt reflect because of the magnetic properties that keep the blade in check? Is a blaster bolt hitting a lightsaber blade akin to a laser hitting a mirror? If so, then a lightwhip, which has the same properties of a lightsaber with flexibility, should have no problem deflecting blaster bolts.

Back on topic: that lightwhip was nothing short of awesome. I look forward to more duels and, if possible, a full choreographed session with costumes and everything. I've been wanting to see that since that whip scene in The Rundown.

Yeah a full choreographed session would be amazing...maybe a lightwhip might find its way into a future BoP? It would WOW audiences for sure.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Novastar View Post
    As to blasters vs. sabers/whips... um, I guess if we want to go into "that zone", you have nerf guns that can fire a lot of rounds (I have a video coming demonstrating this vs. a saber in a simple way)... but the REALITY of a human blocking even a simple projectile of ~1" or < in diameter with a 1" OD polycarbonate tube = fairly poor results, even under ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions meaning... the shooter is just firing to let the saber-wielder "have fun" and try deflecting. So... as if they have no intention of charging in or moving around or even firing in a random fashion. It's *HELLA* hard to stop incoming nerf shots with a 1" polytube. It is *NOT* akin to baseball bat & ball. Not a bit of it.
    I can deflect rubberbands coming out of a gun fairly well, but you're right- If they start charging you... you're toast.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...