Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exposed Crystal Chamber Fad

Banned

Default Exposed Crystal Chamber Fad

Just an observation from an avid custom lightsaber fan. Lately I've noticed a lot of saber designs with exposed cystal chambers, such as Starkiller's hilt in TFU. Aesthetically, I understand it, it does look cool. And the realism of having an actual crystal in your saber lends authenticity to it. Removable crystal chambers embedded in the hilt really make a saber look amazing.

But if you're going for realism, why would a Jedi/Sith wish to expose the most vulnerable and critical component of your lightsaber? One wrong jar or swipe from an enemy and the crystal is out of place, or fried altogether. Not to mention dust/dirt getting into your lightsaber causing a possible malfuntion.

Thoughts?

Possibly a symbol of the weilder's attunement to the force? If they can have the crystal in their saber exposed and yet not allow it to get stolen/ damaged what have you, it shows mastery over their control of the weapon and their ability to use it in a way that will not allow it to become damaged. Just a thought.
    Follow Your Bliss

#puts the two exposed crystal sabers he's working on away from prying eyes#
    XBOX 360 Gamertag AdeganBlue

Being so great, the owner of these wonderful forums and attached shop has filmed how to build an MHS hilt, here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_-BQb_-eY
    Is he just great to you all?

JediMedic ;I actually agree with what you are saying about it being a week point. and mabey Psab is right about how that it shows that jedi/sith's mastery over his or her lightsaber and the force.

Here's my thought on it: Maybe the Exposed Crystal causes it to vibrate more causing a more unstable blade. you mix that with a vibration lens and a ultimate disruption emmiter ( witch i always pictured as a crowned emmiter, and yes i am speaking of KOTOR. ) you would have a unstable blade that would wreck havok on the victims nerves system. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Darth Vane; 10-12-2009 at 06:08 AM.
    ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE!
    Canto III of Dante's Inferno

Beware the Power of The Pope!

Maybe because (Quotes squidbillys) it's bada**! Thats why!
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

This makes me think of a counter-question:

Why do PC nerds find it necessary to add a window into their computer cases?

It's just a modification that is most likely all for aesthetics. It puts forth a certain...individuality, if you will, to the creator's lightsaber.

Now here's the other side of the coin: Once (read "if") everyone starts doing this, it is no longer a sign of individuality. It is then a case of "well, everyone else is doing it so it must be awesome so I'm going to do it."

...Just my $0.02. >.>

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by JediMedic View Post
    Just an observation from an avid custom lightsaber fan. Lately I've noticed a lot of saber designs with exposed cystal chambers, such as Starkiller's hilt in TFU. Aesthetically, I understand it, it does look cool. And the realism of having an actual crystal in your saber lends authenticity to it. Removable crystal chambers embedded in the hilt really make a saber look amazing.

But if you're going for realism, why would a Jedi/Sith wish to expose the most vulnerable and critical component of your lightsaber? One wrong jar or swipe from an enemy and the crystal is out of place, or fried altogether. Not to mention dust/dirt getting into your lightsaber causing a possible malfuntion.

Thoughts?
    We do not make these for dueling with enemies, or fighting evil. We build them as an expression of art and to have a funtional prop that looks cool. So when you ask a question about why we do these things, I have to ask: Would you ask a painter or a sculptor "Why"?

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

I would think that this question was more centered around a "in universe" explanation? That was my thinking when I made my last post.
    Follow Your Bliss

Thats what I figured he meant as well.

My thought has always been that maybe it comes from just finding random parts to use for a housing and didnt find anything to cover the crystal chamber just then.

Always thought it was something like that from looking at the things that starkiller carries and wears. Looks to me like he just grabs and uses what available to him at the moment.

Have you ever thought that maybe what we see as exposed is actually encased in transparasteel? The authors of Star Wars throw that stuff around like it's the fabric of the universe. Which goes back to Fenders comment about an expression of art. Weather it be a drawing or written they all seem to have that "we can go what ever we can think of, all we have to do is create that thing that makes it brake all the rules of physics." I give you transparastell and force fields, either one of those can give you the illusion of an exposed crystal chamber. I personally use the " you touch my crystal I cut your had off." in my lightsabers with exposed crystal chambers. It seams to work pretty good.