Thread: Orcan Stingray Blaster: Concept Image

Default Orcan Stingray Blaster: Concept Image

I don't know if this is the place for this but here's my idea for a Blaster Rifle / Sub machine gun inspired by my first Lightsaber and a gun from Mass Effect.

Here's my lightsaber The Tiger Claw, not the greatest ever made but not bad.

Essentially the Blaster is a remake of my lightsaber with a longer 1.25 section and a grip. I intend to use Modular Hilt System parts to assemble the over all blaster with a red Lux III. The back part that rests aganist the shoulder (ahh I forgot what it's called!) might be made of wood attached to a peice of dowl, although I'm not really sure. I'm also going to mount a voltWatch (used in model airplanes to show voltage via glowing LEDs) on top and slightly to the side. Over all length minus the back part is about 16.5 inchs but will probably end up longer.

But I have some concerns.
    First the grip and trigger, I have a plastic water gun that has a grip I like, and I wouldn't mind hacking it apart, but will it be strong enough if I glue it onto the bottom? If not are there are any other ways to make a grip and trigger? Again I might be in the wrong place, but I'd thought I'd ask anyway.

About what would be a good size for the hole for tip of the barrel. I'm probably going to glue a scrap peice of wood or something with a hole in it so instead of shooting a fifty claiber it shoots something a little more reasonable. lol

Otherwise I'd appreciate any other comments that might help before I start cutting pipe etc.

Thanks
    Orcan

Default ptchoo

The part that rests against the shoulder is called the stock I believe. Hence, the phrase: "Lock, Stock, and Barrel". You may be able to get a low priced sight/scope from dealextreme. You could make the grip out of wood and use the plastic squirt gun handle as a guide. Plastic with metal would cheapen the look so much that you would likely be dis-appointed with the end result. PVC pipe may also be a good choice. There may be build threads on the FX sabers forums for ideas.

You might check some of the online shooting/gun/hunting retailers for actual gun accessory parts that might suit your needs with little or no modification. They'd also add a nice authentic look and feel to your blaster.

Check into stocks, fore-grips, and grips.

-E

Did a brief search on that sight, those scopes are really tempting especially at those prices but I've already have my "scope" a cheap but somewhat good looking pair of binoculars made by Vivatar. They have this neat coating on the front that makes them look like professional scope and is a lot more sci fi looking. Here are my two water guns. The green one has my "scope" glued on to the side, the blue one has a much nicer grip. Help I have a water gun obsession! lol

Hmm I like the idea of building the whole grip trigger out of wood. Cutting the existing grip out of the blue water gun had the adavantage of getting a working trigger and grip but yeah it would've looked horrible and probably would've broken anyway. I think I have the technology to shape a trigger put a pin in it and hide a switch somewhere. lol I've found a nice chunk of wood I might be able to build the trigger, grip and stock out of.

I'm much more worried about the functional aspects of this rather than the asethetics.

Thanks
    Orcan

Default wood

that scope is very unique. It's oblong shape would probably require some of mount. You might be able to fashion a simple one with a floppy disk (i.e. that metal sliding piece). Wood is easy to work with which is why they make pinewood derby cars out of it

As far as the grip goes there are a couple easy ways to do it. Making one from wood is a good way but the work for a trigger is a lot. My advice would be to get a use paintball grip from ebay or just purchase one from the numerous paintball gun dealers out there I think they run $20 to $50 and up but the have the trigger built in and are set up for exactly what you are working with shape wise. Or just purchase a cheap all metal airsoft gun and use the frame.
    "Art is never finished, merely abandoned." Da Vinci

Hmm that sounds like a good idea. Unfortunatetly I've already cut my grip out of wood and starting to cut the slot for the trigger. It's going to be a lot of work but I think it will work. Maybe..... Must admit I'm going to be happy when I'm done with the trigger and switch.

Ahh I have a problem. I think my pipe I bought is too heavy gauge to fit the tube adapoters. I bought 20 gauge 1.5 pipe and the tube adapters and blade holder don't fit into it! My 1.25 inch (also 20 gauge) pipe is also a really tight fit into the tube adapoters. grr

I suppose my only option is to buy some thinner gauge pipe?
    Fortunatetly there's only peice that I might have to cut again.

I was going to put the blade adapoter at the tip of the blaster, but instead I'm going to put it in backwards in the main section of the blaster. As in my lightsaber the blade adopter is sticking out the front, I don't want that. They're very beautiful but I bought them to hold my LED etc, I want them dissapear. On the other hand I bought some AA battery holders from Radio Shack, but they're too big to fit inside. So I'm going to glue them on the outside, because they're basically just black boxes, so pretend their ammo magazines or something. lol

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You need 22 gauge sink pipe, not 20.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!