Thread: My first conversion -MR Darth Vader EPIV

Default My first conversion -MR Darth Vader EPIV

Not sure if I've posted this in the right place.

After reading through many posts on here (massive wealth of information here btw - thanks ) I decided I felt brave enough to attempt a DIY luxeon conversion. I bought this saber on the 19th August as it was in a clearance sale and was an aboslute steal at £20 brand new. Even though it didn't cost me a lot I still didn't want to wreck it by messing up a conversion on it so at first I was apprehensive about doing it myself but by the time I'd ordered the parts (vader DIY kit, red Luxeon III and thick walled blade) I was eager to get started on it.

The parts arrived yesterday (Saturday) while I was at work, but as soon as my wife phoned to tell me I knew what I was going to be doing today (Sunday). The whole process took me about 2 hours but it would've been quicker if it was for the pesky rubber t-grip parts inside the hilt that were being awkward and trying to stop me putting the assembly back inside the hilt. It would've also been quicker if I'd actually noticed what was stopping the bits going back inside instead of me assuming it was the new metal blade holder I was putting in! doh!
    Once I got it all back together, tested all working fine I cut a small section of the old blade off and hot glued in a 1 pence coin to make a DIY emmiter cap which looks okay, although I'll replace that 1 pence coin with a smooth silver piece aluminium piece some point in the future.

While carrying out the conversion I got some weird emotions ranging from "This is easy" while taking bits apart following the guide to "omg, I think I've broken it" when I got the assembly jammed in the hilt half-way in and I thought I couldn't get it back out. Now it's complete I'm very happy with the results.

Last edited by Takamatsu; 10-11-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Looks great and there isn't a scratch on the hilt. I've never actually converted an MR or Hasbro, but I hope to someday. I usually take the electronics out of an MR and make my own hilts. This looks great and the photos really show it. Nice work!
    Follow Your Bliss

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Nice job on the conversion. And interesting use of a coin.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Banned Sith Lord

way to go dude. i was actually impressed on how easy the vader was to disasemble. i did it right in front of the comp and walla no probs.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Walla?

Like Walla Walla Washington?

O-o-o-h, you must mean the French word,
    "voila".

In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

ROFL J-Lo.

BTW, nice job on the conversion...I remember the feeling (like 200 conversions ago)
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Thanks for all the kind comments

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dottore Matto View Post
    BTW, nice job on the conversion...I remember the feeling (like 200 conversions ago)
    Lol, I will never go that far but wow I really am finding lightsabers a new addictive hobby
    I know I'm still a noob at this, but my first conversion gave me a great sense of satisfaction and achievement. Still grinning.

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Takamatsu View Post
    Thanks for all the kind comments
    ...my first conversion gave me a great sense of satisfaction and achievement. Still grinning.
    as it should have!
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

As stated nice use of the coin, and great conversion.
    New to the forum: READ, READ, READ! it's the best way not to get flamed.
    Time for a kirby dance <('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)<('-'<) (><) <('-')> (>'-')> (>'-'<)

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takamatsu View Post

While carrying out the conversion I got some weird emotions ranging from "This is easy" while taking bits apart following the guide to "omg, I think I've broken it" when I got the assembly jammed in the hilt half-way in and I thought I couldn't get it back out.
    That is my least favorite part: cramming the electronics in the hilt- I nearly have a heart attack every time I do it...

Of course, If you follow LDM's example and spend three-four hours on an Chasis you won't have that problem.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...