Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: So, what do you do for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by The Grey Elf View Post
    However, Pitt covers 50% of my tuition for graduate school, and I am currently in the MLIS program here, so hopefully by next July (July 2011) I'll be primed for work either in a library or IT position somewhere and can get out of here and never look back.
    Put out serious applications now. Intern if you can. It sucks but it beats getting out and finding all the jobs want experience, and they can get it. -_-;
    usajobs.gov seems like a good site, I haven't had any luck...but if you can make a resume there, you can make it anywhere.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
    Put out serious applications now. Intern if you can. It sucks but it beats getting out and finding all the jobs want experience, and they can get it. -_-;
    usajobs.gov seems like a good site, I haven't had any luck...but if you can make a resume there, you can make it anywhere.
    I have lots of experience. When putting my portfolio together last semester, one of my instructors was blown away by my breadth of work experience, a great deal of which is applicable to the IS field.

Interning, unfortunately, isn't an option as for my program internships are all unpaid and my wife and I count on both salaries to pay the bills.

Did I mention I'm 35 and have been working full-time since I was 18? .

High-school.
    Building stuff. Stuff that glows...

Oh, and I am a professional fire artist. Fire-sword fighting anyone?
    The point of this is actually out to lunch.

Youngling

Graphic Designer, Digital Media Artist here!

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/x360graphicsx/

I work in the Prop-shops/Scene-shops at a lot of local performing arts theatres both, hourly and commission;
    and I'm usually one of the lighting technicians at any one of the aforementioned theatres at any given point in time.
    I'm also a freelance graphic artist/photograper/web coder with an internship for web design/network administration at the high school.
    Other than that, I do whatever jobs I can land.

As a hobbyist I do a little software engineering, robotics, mechanical/structural engineering (i.e. inventing useless crap, because I can), ceramics, pyrotechnics, and audio/video production.
    I'm currently wrapping up high school (in days), and moving on to certifications in EMT, General Contracting, Electrical, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and PHP.
    With those done I'll be getting my Gen. Ed. taken care of to go to school for Graphic Design or Culinary.

It would seem that the only continuity in my interests, is that I do everything, and enjoy it.

I've been a cube farmer for longer than I'd like to admit.

Everything I've done can be boiled down to Customer Service, or as the Irish like to say, "Telling someone to go to Hades in such a way as they'll look forward to the trip."

thanks to my job history I now know:
    - designer eyeglass manufacture and distribution
    - the contruction industry
    - how to get someone passed out drunk in 2 drinks
    - that modeling for art classes is both harder and easier than expected
    - children's parties are really gatherings for hellspawn
    - disposible circumcision kits come with instructions FOR A REASON
    - what to do when a tanker of cyanide spills all over the highway
    - OSHA (shudder)
    - copier parts
    - "that book about the bunny. I think the cover was blue"
    - The reason why a certain car company is #1. And it might have something to do with checking your soul in a cubby before you get to your desk in the morning.
    - clinical trials on toenails and homeless people
    - just exactly why no matter how busy or BIG of a person you are, never have your secretary read ALL of your emails (or you get a ***ual harassment suit)
    - the pros/cons of having a unionized job

And now in my spare time I'm going to school for medical billing/coding. because I'd like to do something normal for a living.
    Unapologetic Geek.

Just got out of the Marine Corps after 8 years as a Staff Sergeant (E-6) due to disability caused by a deployment in 2004.

I now work at the Joint Operational Support Airlift Center (JOSAC) on Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. I schedule mission essential and executive Department of Defense (DoD) air travel for the Continental United States (CONUS). I worked here as the IT/Project Manager for 3 years (during my final 3 years in the Marine Corps) before transitioning to a civilian career as an executive scheduler. I was unable to retain my previous position due to the Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) program that 'attempts' to save the government money by eliminating all 'non-essential' positions. You may have recently heard that the Joint Forces Command (JFCOM) is being closed down by Secretary Gates. This is as a result of the BRAC program. Saving tax-payers money, one destitute family at a time.

Anybody notice that this thread was started in 2006?
    Then again, it's not a topic that gets old, is it?

I've worked as:

• a dishwasher (high school)
    • a "quality control inspector" (high school)
    • a dishwasher again (college)
    • an English tutor (briefly, as an exchange student)
    • a babysitter (junior high through college)
    • a translator of manga (Japanese comics, since 1990)
    • a T.A. in anthropology and Asian studies (grad. school)
    • a freelance writer/columnist (mostly about manga, in both English and Japanese)
    • a university Japanese instructor (after finishing by my M.A. in Asian Studies)
    • a university instructor (pop culture, Japanese society, manga--sometimes in English but mostly in Japanese)
    • a third-rate sabersmith, trying to advance to second-rate

It's incredible what a diverse bunch of people we have here, all joined by a common interest in a majorly geeky hobby that most people don't even know exists.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Banned Sith Lord

i was a machinist for FOOdesign. but then i was transferred because they got a "proffesional" in.... whatever. so i was transferred over to superior Metal Finishing. where i am learning to electroplate stuff. and its quite fun. i can wait to do a zinc coated saber. that and a little of blue chromate. that would be AWESOME!!!! so yeah learning to be an electroplater, trying to produce more songs and get more gigs, and building more sabers to bump up my sabersmith level from intermediate to whatever. i need a lathe of my own well saving is good! so thats what im doing. but ive had a build on hold all summer because i have had no way of mounting these claws i have until im back in the sheenshop.

I am like a few others, A journeyman autobody technician and have been for 13 years. I work in a busy shop and part time teach at a trade school.