Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thin and Thick walled blade film difference?

Question Thin and Thick walled blade film difference?

Just got my parts in the mail. When I initially ordered I chose the 1" thin walled film. I meant to choose the thick walled film.

Before the order was shipped I sent Tim a message and he said no problem. That he'd take care of it.

Now that I actually have the film, how do I know it's the correct one and that he sent the one I originally intended

Thanks.

Do you mean film or diffuser tube? The film is the same no matter what. There is no thick-walled and thin-walled versions. However there is single wrap, double wrap and, quad wrap. These film wraps are rolled up 90 degrees of what they need to be when rolled up to be inserted into a blade. This means that when you initially receive them, there are very short rolls. The double wrap is twice as long as the single wrap and the quad wrap is twice as long as the double wrap. The single wrap is around 3" long (I think)

Now if you meant diffuser tube, yes there is a thin-walled and thick-walled version. The way to tell the difference is to measure the outer diameter. The thick-walled diffuser is 3/4" in diameter and the thin-walled diffuser is 7/8" in diameter. I hope that helps.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I was speaking about the film in particular. When ordering that, there is a drop-down selection that asks what the blade diameter is. If it's for a 3/4" thin, 1" thin, or 1" thick walled blade. I picked 1" thin by accident.

I just assumed there would be a difference if it asked what particular blade I planned on using it in.

And I did get the quad wrap, btw.

If there isn't a difference, I don't know why Tim (or whoever answered my order comment) didn't explain that.

But as long as i don't have anything to worry about

Thanks!

Oops, sorry about that. I didn't see that drop down. That probably means that there is a difference. It probably means that there is slightly less film in the roll for the smaller blade diameters. Without knowing the measurements of the film for each blade type, only Tim (or perhaps your invoice) will tell you what blade type your film is for.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I kinda figured that. But, like you said, no way of knowing for sure.

Didn't get an invoice in the box. But my online invoice states it still at 1" thin. Although under the comment section it says it the correct film will be put in place (not exact words).

I suppose I can just put it in the tube and see if I have to much or too little.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Did you order single, double, or quad wrap?
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

If you get the thin walled quad wrap and insert it into a thick walled blade, it just means that the seam of the film will overlap slightely more than it would for the thinwalled blade. No big deal and you can always trim the film if it really bothers you.

Personally, I like Quad wrap in thin wall blades myself. It looks more Lightsaber-y.
    Prepare for major PWNage.

If you need any help with anything, whatsoever, click here. This should help you.

Definition of n00b- Here.

Quote Originally Posted by $tarkiller View Post
    Personally, I like Quad wrap in thin wall blades myself. It looks more Lightsaber-y.
    well it is supposed to be a lightsaber after all...