Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hilt Wiring

I just finished hooking my hilt wiring up about 25 minutes ago, and I noticed the battery (9v) is getting very hot. How can I reduce the heat?

FYI, a simple diagram of my wiring:

mono jack--1MOhm resistor----inverter---220 Ohm res.---battery
    |
    switch

Bremenx
    The Last Scion of Rock

The last post of mine didn't place the switch where I typed it....it, of course, comes from the two switch wires off the inverter, not from the jack...

Bremenx
    The Last Scion of Rock

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Why do you have two resistors? You only need one for inverter protection after the battery goes straight to the inverter.

<center>
    www.dewbackwing.com</center>

Strydur, I placed a switch between the battery and the inverter. The battery started getting EXTREAMLY HOT, I thought it was going to explode. I wold love to find a way to prevent the drain when the switch is off. I heard Parks hasn't even figured this Problem out.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Strydur

If you have the switch between the battery and the invert you wont lose any more power than the battery sitting there by itself. I have had a battery sitting in a test saber for 5 months and it still works fine.

Tim
    The Custom Saber Shop
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dagger77

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dagger77

Strydur, I placed a switch between the battery and the inverter. The battery started getting EXTREAMLY HOT, I thought it was going to explode. I wold love to find a way to prevent the drain when the switch is off. I heard Parks hasn't even figured this Problem out<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds like a dead short...

What kind of switch is it?

Can you draw out a wireing diagram or take a pic of what you've got?

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

That is odd as ever... you could always use a zenier diode to keep flow one way. You are using a inverter bought somewhere else? The one here has battery leads.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

It was a 9V inverter from Coolight. It came with 9V leads. I cut the leads, then wired a 120v SPST On/Off Switch +to+ -to- then continued to inverter +to+ -to-. then foward inverter leads to the front Mono Jack. ??? <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Firebird21

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by dagger77

Strydur, I placed a switch between the battery and the inverter. The battery started getting EXTREAMLY HOT, I thought it was going to explode. I wold love to find a way to prevent the drain when the switch is off. I heard Parks hasn't even figured this Problem out<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sounds like a dead short...

What kind of switch is it?

Can you draw out a wireing diagram or take a pic of what you've got?

Have you read your Thread Index today?
    FAQ
    Official Designated TCSS Jester!

Dagger77

Firebird is right, if you are heating up that bad there is a short across and you want to find that first and formost since no matter what else you try if you still have that you will continue to have problems.

<center></center>

From what you are describing, you wired the switch in paralell and therefore when you turn it on it is shorting, you need to have the switch on only one leg either + or -.

<center></center>

I just loked at the wiring scheme on http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sa...sp?TOPIC_ID=15That is much different than wht I did. Thanks for the help..<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by james3

From what you are describing, you wired the switch in paralell and therefore when you turn it on it is shorting, you need to have the switch on only one leg either + or -.

<center></center>

Dagger77