Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Black blades?

*cross-franchise*

Ye canna change the laws of physics Capn!

As everyone has pointed out a black lightsaber is categorically impossible.

But then so is extension and retraction effects with a single in-hilt LED - ye canna change the speed of light eh?

Yet we can get a kind of PSEUDO extend/retract effect through PWM drivers and 'Corbin-type' striated diffuser film so maybe we should ask if the ILLUSION of a black blade is possible?

Not through our normal blade-lighting methods I'm certain...but maybe if one used multiple [probably moving] tubes with slits [M-M experiment eh?] to create reinforcing interference patterns in just the 'right' way one might, REMOTELY possibly, be able to create a 'dark' interference pattern in what would APPEAR to be the 'core' of the 'blade' tube???

...I suspect even IF its possible [and i'm not sure it even is] it would be a ridiculously tricky and time consuming to R&D and possibly expensive, certainly not duelable [any shock whatsoever would ruin the absurdly precise alignments] and just not worth the bother for an optical illusion in a 'toy' imo...but kudos to anyone who can do it...I wouldnt try.

Just do yourself a favour and get a 'black' smoked poly blade and white LED...yeah its technically the opposite of TFU but similarly distinctively different from normal lightsaber blades so close enough for me anyway...or if you are really just into looking Sithy get a smoked poly blade and put a red LED for a 'Death blade' which looks even cooler imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum_and_Villainy View Post
    In the real world, it's an impossible idea simply because LEDs cannot produce a "black light" (for lack of a better term). Hence, the replies.

In the Star Wars universe, there is a certain realm of believability that cannot be broken. Sure, some laws of physics are kicked in the stones and tossed aside, but others are strictly adhered to. The light spectrum is in the latter category. Considering the way a lightsaber has been established to work, black blades simply cannot be produced. Even the Star Wars universe has laws. "Hur dee dur, it's fiction!" is not a valid argument.
    Lightsabers in the Star Wars universe are not focused light, but more of a contained energy blade. If it was just light, someone would swing the saber at someone, and it would harmlessly pass over them, kind of like a flashlight. That being said, the color of the blade comes from a crystal, and in Star Wars, if there was a type of crystal that created a black blade, its entirely possible.

Btw people... Is it really necessary to bash someone for bringing up the idea? A simple, "it wouldn't work with LEDs because of blah blah blah" instead of nicely insulting the guy. Jeez.

Oh, and god forbid I'm wrong about what I said with the crystals and whatnot.

Im no physicist, but is it plausible to say that it produces light that interferes with existing light?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference

Seeing how precise lightsaber are supposed to be, perhaps they could be callibrated to produce such an effect.

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by chase View Post
    Lightsabers in the Star Wars universe are not focused light, but more of a contained energy blade. If it was just light, someone would swing the saber at someone, and it would harmlessly pass over them, kind of like a flashlight. That being said, the color of the blade comes from a crystal, and in Star Wars, if there was a type of crystal that created a black blade, its entirely possible.

Btw people... Is it really necessary to bash someone for bringing up the idea? A simple, "it wouldn't work with LEDs because of blah blah blah" instead of nicely insulting the guy. Jeez.

Oh, and god forbid I'm wrong about what I said with the crystals and whatnot.

The lightsaber blade itself is indeed contained energy, but the color of the blade is a light effect. Simply put, black light does not exist.

And before anyone brings it up, the black crystal shown in the Force Unleashed is to be taken with a grain of salt; sure, it's a skin that you can use, but that was thrown in as a non-canon element much like the Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, etc. skins that you can use in place of the Starkiller skin.

You guys are taking this way to far. Give me a simple yes it can be done or no it cant (WITHOUT A DOUBT) be done. Im not asking for black light or anything like that. Im not looking for a completely black blade im really looking for the white glow around it. TimeRender was the closest to my idea but i know it can be done and im going to try it because you guys are completely ridiculous. Why was anything else even a question? If you look at what the blade looks like in the force unleashed you'll notice that the white glow is only what you see. I KNOW ITS A GAME AND IT IS IN A COMPLETELY FICTIONAL PART OF THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE. All im trying to do is imitate it NOT MAKE A "BLACK" BLADE. I did search for what IM looking for and all the posts that i found was for a BLACK light as in purple like color.

I have to agree with Vor. Too many threads lately have gotten completely derailed. His question has nothing to do with what is considered canon or what fictional science might make it possible in the Star Wars universe. This is about prop building. If you find it necessary to keep posting in this thread, keep it on topic.

Vor, I have imagined a simple exercise to demonstrate why this WON'T work. Find a flat sheet of colorless semi-clear plastic or glass, a flashlight, and something black. Shine the light on the plastic from behind and then set up the black object behind that so that the light does not cause the object to cast a shadow. Then look at the plastic from the other side. If done correctly, you will barely be able to see the black object at all because it will be completely obscured by the light.

The point is this. A lightsaber blade is a cylinder, not flat. You should be able to look at a lightsaber blade from any angle. If you have an illuminated edge around the black core from one viewing angle, it must be illuminated at ALL viewing angles, and doing this will completely obscure the black core. The only way to create the illusion of a black blade would be to allow the black core to cast a shadow on ONE side of the outer blade, but then you would not be able to view it from any angle but one. This would be fine for a prop that is only going to hang on your wall, although there are simpler ways then to achieve the effect, but it will not work for a prop that you are actually going to swing around to impress your friends with.

Also, our blade require that the inside of the tube be completely transparant to allow light from the emitter to reach the tip of the blade. If you put an opaque object in there, the only light you will see will be a tiny halo right at the emitter.

I understand that you think this is a cool idea, and also whenever a young builder comes on here and is told they can't do something they tend to get that attitude of "well I'll show you guys, I'll prove you all wrong" but honestly they never do prove anything. Listen to the more experienced builders. Loreen and LDM have both chimed in here. This cannot be done. Now, if you just want it to hang on your wall and look cool, PM me and I can give you some ideas on how to create the effect. Otherwise let it go. Trust me.

Thank you. I understand the "i'll make it and show you" thing very much and sometimes I do the same thing with other projects and sometimes they do and don't work. Thank you also for the test i'll have to try it. I still wish to research this project. I am currently going to school to be a material engineer and machinist so this type of thing is the right type of thing to bring up to my teacher. Maybe he can explain it more in depth for me. BUT in all thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by vorian89 View Post
    I agree that it would be practically impossbile, but like i said in the first place it's only for show. It wont be used for fighting or for anyother reason than just to oogle at it. I view it as one of those things that "to my knowledge" hasn't been done successfully (BUT I CAN BE WRONG). I know that it was just a game, Loreen, but in the first place this whole site wouldn't even be here without a little movie in the late seventies called Star Wars. And i understand the physics of light and what the word BLACK means so you can rule that out. Can you tell me what light is?

Light is electromagnetic radiation. It ranges from invisible Microwaves and Radio, all the way up to Gamma Rays. The light's color is determined by its energy (wavelength.) Mre energetic radiation moves away from the Red portion of the spectrum to the blue.

Black on the other hand is a total absense of light. Hense, you cannot have a black lightsber. But you could have a black-light saber. But it would not have that really cool blueish glow you get in the game.

Sorry, can't be done. Will never be done. Unless you film yourself and rotoscope the footage.
    Darth Fender
    Sith Lord

You over estimate my FLOWERS!

well i was reading this and i *might* have found a solution, although this might've been thought up or posted already but i missed it.
    its the "black polycarb with white led" thing, but it goes like this
    ......____
    ___/ __________
    ..... /BBBBBBBBBBB
    + <BBBBBBBBBBBB
    ___ \___________
    .....\____

with the + being the white LED, and the B arts representing the black blade
    the white led will be reflected and will come out, surrounding the black blade, or maybe even at an angle(85?) so that it will be obviously shining ONTO the blade itself, and providing a base flair
    this only works at night though. in the day you won't see the white part glowing around the black part
    and probably a dimmer LED should be used so that the white aura around it will only be seen at the sides and not completely make the blade look white even from the front
    (note: just think of the full stops as spaces since if i use spaces the forum will automatically move the lines to the front)
    Last edited by Firedrops; 10-06-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vorian89 View Post
    You guys are taking this way to far. Give me a simple yes it can be done or no it cant (WITHOUT A DOUBT) be done. Im not asking for black light or anything like that. Im not looking for a completely black blade im really looking for the white glow around it. TimeRender was the closest to my idea but i know it can be done and im going to try it because you guys are completely ridiculous. Why was anything else even a question? If you look at what the blade looks like in the force unleashed you'll notice that the white glow is only what you see. I KNOW ITS A GAME AND IT IS IN A COMPLETELY FICTIONAL PART OF THE STAR WARS UNIVERSE. All im trying to do is imitate it NOT MAKE A "BLACK" BLADE.
    Sorry this has gotten so out of hand.
    One thing I've learned in High School is that the best way to tick off a geek is to get their obsessions wrong.
    (Nerdfight lol.)

I did search for what IM looking for and all the posts that i found was for a BLACK light as in purple like color.
    Well, if that's what you were looking for, Do-Clo has done a few UV sabers, which in their florescent light bulb form are commonly called blacklights.
    Here's one of them, I think.
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...6&postcount=40

My black blade is just to turn the LED off.
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin