Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Black blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    Perhaps someone more focused on the DIY aspect of the hobby here might feel that talk of selling parts rather than freely disclosing how we might DIY it for ourselves is not exactly the 'spirit' of TCSS forums?

IF so I don't think anyone 'there' intends to 'offend' anyone 'here' that way...its just a difference in approach between the respective forum sites both of which are highly valued by many of us who are members in both places.
    Good point! I had been wondering about the reaction at fx-sabers, but I was taking the reaction here at TCSS for granted. I don't think Senti's thread would have gotten any (negative) attention here if it wasn't for the fact that he was talking about selling the blades. No doubt about it: we here at TCSS are extremely sensitive to any discussion of buying or selling. That makes perfect sense here on TCSS, but it would be silly to try to impose that standard on fx-sabers, where buying and selling is part and parcel of the whole forum.

Just goes to show: We're never as objective as we think we are.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

First of all, I know the images are larger than normal, but they really need to be to see the effect and the pictures still don't do it justice. Here is kinda what I was talking about with the black polyC blade. I am using a Red LED because it was what I had on hand and it looks really cool with red. hehe You can see the dust particles reflect the light and give it a cool effect. When I tilt the saber directly in front of me you can see the mirror tip reflects the light directly back to the LED and makes it look more like a normal blade, but when it is upright it gives the effect of plasma like energy floating in the blade. It looks much better in person and is super simple to make. (Just buy the black polyC blade and tip from Tim) hehe This has no diffusion in it at all.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/100_3063.jpg

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/100_3064.jpg

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/100_3065.jpg
    Last edited by Rhyen Skytracker; 07-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I don't think Senti's thread would have gotten any (negative) attention here if it wasn't for the fact that he was talking about selling the blades. No doubt about it: we here at TCSS are extremely sensitive to any discussion of buying or selling.
    I must confess this is the main reason of my critiques. I do sometimes forget that some people can get over excited about a idea that makes no sense to me and just want have someone create something for them rather than create it themselves. I must meditate on this.

Cool effect...I wonder if it would work with glitter instead of dust?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It may but it is easier to get the dust to stick inside the blade. It just happens naturally. lol I call the black blade with red LED the "Death Blade" because it looks very sithy.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Indeed it does and imo is Sithier [JLo's gonna get me for that] than a black blade anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    I got to thinking why the reaction to Senti's blade was so different here and on fx-sabers. I don't think it's a territorial "My-Team-Is-Better-Than-Your-Team" kind of thing. And I don't believe we are "mean" over here. But there is one fundamental difference between fx-sabers and TCSS forums, and that is that fx-sabers is a general site for collectors, admirers, and builders of "functioning" lightsaber replicas, whereas TCSS is, at its core, a "How-To" site. Except for the "Miscellaneous" section, I think 80% of discussion here is detailed technical discussion about how to make something work, and how to make it work better. Constructive criticism is not only acceptable, but essential. Some of us are more blunt than others, and feathers can get ruffled and discussions heated, but flame wars are extremely rare, and for the most part things are quite civil and friendly. But when one of us goes to fx-sabers and offers the kind of technical criticism that is considered normal here on TCSS, it can be seen as mean-spirited, or, worse, some kind of TCSS vs. fx-sabers thing (which is silly, since most TCSS members are also fx-sabers members).
    QFT.

I want to apologize to anyone here on TCSS who may have been offended by the comment I made over at FX. I was completely tongue-in-cheek with my comment, but I think some people took my words out of context and some feathers were ruffled.

All I was trying to say is what Matt just said so perfectly. I love TCSS for the no-nonsense "this is how you do it better" attitude. That's how good teachers are: they challenge you to improve yourself. But the group over at FX is not as hardcore techie as here...and so we should be more conservative (and careful) when critiquing. Many (FX members) post simply because they are proud that they accomplished something rudimentary...because they never did anything like that before. Here, you've all been rolling blade film since you could walk.

Again, I hope I did not offend and apologize for any misunderstandings that may have arisen.

Regardless of the purpose of either site, I can't understand for the life of me why it's either like it, love it,or say nothing at FX. Even if it is an item for sale it's not like it's out right saying don't buy this if you comment that you wouldn't or that you think it could be better if done differently.

Due to this any comments I get over there carry no weight. It feels like if someone compliments me they may only be doing it so I'll return the favour and I'm way too real to conduct myself like that. I will of course continue to share my work there anyways.

As an artist I learned long ago how to serve a constructive criticism and also take one. As long as you share your work it's open to criticism and I'd rather hear it to better myself or at least to get other perspectives instead of wonder what others would say.

Back on topic...when someone finds a film that acts as the opposite of corbin film then it's on. Until then it's back to the drawing board.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    It may but it is easier to get the dust to stick inside the blade. It just happens naturally. lol I call the black blade with red LED the "Death Blade" because it looks very sithy.
    What would happen if you lightly sanded it I wonder...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Wondering that myself. I just ordered one last night so I may give it a try.