Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Black blades?

I am pretty sure he did that on purpose. (sp?)

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I know.

And I was joking about it.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Yes, I was joking. J-Lo has helped me with my spelling, now I guess I need help with my grammer. LOL

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

It looks as though this blade is causing a lot of trouble, eh? I personally like the idea, perfect for those of us who likes a good photo shoot without having to Photoshop it.

I personally take it for what it is, a Tube with Black strips of paint in it, and say Bravo. Its all we have for now, and personally, I think were better off having A Method for this illusion, then being with out one, surely thats a step forward?

It just goes to prove thats theirs a Cheap, Cost effective yet Labor-Bearing way of getting some form of results (Even a "Gimmick") with the Impossible task of making a fully functional Black blade, without paint, film strips, reflective films, etc... we all know its not going to happen just like that, it takes more then 1 attempt.

I don't know...

If your NEW to TCSS READ HERE!! >>>>> http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...d=1#post108682

Yes its only an "illusion" not a 'real' black blade...did anyone seriously expect Senti actually repealed the laws of physics? The only way I can think of to make a 'real' black blade would require multiple spinning tubes and be neither cost effective nor duelable and that too would require the visual-perceptual phenomenon of 'persistence of vision' to create "illusion" of black 'all around' the blade. At least Senti found a way to make HIS "illusion" practically attainable and for that he should be commended and if it doesnt produce the effect from every angle then it is still the first approach that has produced a black blade from any angle afaik so its the "first evolutionary step" as Master Jedye said on FX. Maybe "Lumisty" will be another step forward in the future, who knows...but this is a beginning. "Do or do not, there is no try" eh? Senti actually DID something...good for him. I don't think he made any claims that were dishonest...maybe some of the rest of us were more hopeful it might be more and may have been more vociferously enthusiastic or some may have been more vociferously critical but thats ok, in the end it is what it is and we'll all make our own choices and move forward. I personally am hoping that Korbanth does a Starkiller hilt in his next run and if he does I WOULD want one of these blades for DISPLAY purposes with that...I wouldnt duel with that hilt anyway. For a dueling hilt I think the 'black' smoked TCSS blade material is awesome despite it not looking exactly like TFU and particular awesome in Rhyen's [iirc?] "Deathblade" form with a red LED...if I was building a 'black blade' dueling hilt that would be what I'd want and is why I bought black bladestock from TCSS when Strydur brought it out and it is a cool option too imo...but to each his/her own eh? We are all fans who enjoy sabers and surely there is room for us to have personal preferences and get along...Vive les differences eh?
    Last edited by Onli-Won Kanomi; 07-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Hmmm the blades are supposed to be duel able so I wonder what kind of flexible paint he is using. He probably can't fully disclose that information at this time tho.

Onli-Wan, I am in complete agreement that Senti was not misleading--at least not intentionally. And, as I said earlier, the video is there, it clearly shows what he's done, so if there are people who are happy with that, that is cool. Vive les differences indeed.

As for the laws of physics, there has been a very interesting discussion about the possibilities for dark-core blades here.

I got to thinking why the reaction to Senti's blade was so different here and on fx-sabers. I don't think it's a territorial "My-Team-Is-Better-Than-Your-Team" kind of thing. And I don't believe we are "mean" over here. But there is one fundamental difference between fx-sabers and TCSS forums, and that is that fx-sabers is a general site for collectors, admirers, and builders of "functioning" lightsaber replicas, whereas TCSS is, at its core, a "How-To" site. Except for the "Miscellaneous" section, I think 80% of discussion here is detailed technical discussion about how to make something work, and how to make it work better. Constructive criticism is not only acceptable, but essential. Some of us are more blunt than others, and feathers can get ruffled and discussions heated, but flame wars are extremely rare, and for the most part things are quite civil and friendly. But when one of us goes to fx-sabers and offers the kind of technical criticism that is considered normal here on TCSS, it can be seen as mean-spirited, or, worse, some kind of TCSS vs. fx-sabers thing (which is silly, since most TCSS members are also fx-sabers members).

Fortunately, Luminara deemed our criticism to be civil and constructive, but maybe we (or maybe I should say "I") should be more sensitive to these "cultural differences" when we post on fx-sabers.
    There's always a bigger fish.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I think you hit the nail right on the head about the differences between the forums Matt. Like you said, this is a DIY forum on how to build lightsabers yourself and to most of us we want criticism to better our future sabers. I do want to give Senti credit for being a n00b and jumping right in and figuring out how to do something for himself. I also believe he never intended to be misleading in anyway, he was and still is very excited about this hobby and I think we need to give him and all the n00bs constructive criticism but still urge them to keep trying and learning more. (Sometimes that is a very fine line.) I don't think any of your post over at FX was to harsh for me but some others may have.

I do want each and everyone of you to tell me that all my sabers are the best sabers in the world and there is nothing I could do to improve them. hehe

Just kidding, I want all of y'all to be perfectly honest with all my work so that I CAN improve my future sabers. I have already seen a huge improvement in my work and it is due to all of y'all giving me advice and constructive criticism.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

I think you make a valid point and its something I try to remember when switching between posting here and there...this is essentially a DIY forum in support of a DIY saber BUILDING parts store and anyone who comes here and understands that should realize people here are trying to advance the art of HOW to BUILD sabers. FX-Sabers has a different and in a way 'larger' focus on ALL aspects of the 'saber hobby' including those aspects related to BUY/SELL and USING sabers that have nothing to do with building sabers DIY, and many members there can be perfectly good contributing members who have NO interest in ever building a saber themselves just buying or having sabers built for them by the many fine sabersmiths in the FX-Sabers areas devoted to that. There's nothing 'wrong' with that its just a difference but I suppose talk of 'selling' parts that would seem perfectly in keeping with the buy/sell aspects of FX Sabers forums might sometimes seem out of keeping with the more specifically DIY 'spirit' of TCSS forums. Perhaps someone more focused on the DIY aspect of the hobby here might feel that talk of selling parts rather than freely disclosing how we might DIY it for ourselves is not exactly the 'spirit' of TCSS forums?

IF so I don't think anyone 'there' intends to 'offend' anyone 'here' that way...its just a difference in approach between the respective forum sites both of which are highly valued by many of us who are members in both places. I don't think anyone involved there or here is saying anything out of 'bad faith' its just different mindsets due to different aspects of our common hobby of enjoying sabers in sometimes different ways.

*insert usual "certain point of view" quote*

Yes Matt you are right here. I didn't realize it until today but the forums are defiantly different. Not that one is better than the other. I do like how we discuss ideas here. Lets give thanks to Tim for the store & forum & ability to jump into such an interesting hobby.