Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Black blades?

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post
    Thankfully the heat has mostly cooled and we have found some common ground.
    Yeah, I don't like country music either

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

HERETIC! SOMEONE FETCH THE FLAMETHROWER!

Nah I'm kidding, I hate country music too. Let's go set fire to some Toby Keith fans.

Sorry ARKM; I chose your post at random as a middle-ground example of the sort of post that filled the first 11 pages of this thread. It wasn't meant to single you out, you were just the first one I saw that said what became the prevailing opinion...and everyone else on the forum had to say the exact same thing...for 11 pages...0.o
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Ah. Ok. No worries.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

As for why someone would want a black blade I can only speak for myself and say that I hope to get a TFU Starkiller saber replica someday and a black blade would be 'authentic' to the final level in the game where he can get a crystal that produces that blade effect.

Thats why *I* would want one...maybe a couple...but for MOST of my sabers I will still want more conventional blades such as TCSS offers...but thats just me and others mileage may vary and thats ok that we can all want different things in a Free country is good eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Onli-Won Kanomi View Post
    As for why someone would want a black blade I can only speak for myself and say that I hope to get a TFU Starkiller saber replica someday and a black blade would be 'authentic' to the final level in the game where he can get a crystal that produces that blade effect.

Thats why *I* would want one...maybe a couple...but for MOST of my sabers I will still want more conventional blades such as TCSS offers...but thats just me and others mileage may vary and thats ok that we can all want different things in a Free country is good eh?
    i played the wii version of TFU and there was no black crystal blade thingie...
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

actually its possible, but it would be extreemly cost ineffective
    you would need a polycarbonate tube which would have microcrystals inlayed in it, these microcrystals would only reflect light parallel to the surface of the polycarbonate blade
    ok so u have your special polycarbonate tube and you put black construction paper in it in a roll so its got a black core,
    its hard to explain but imagine holding your blade up infront of your face, the portion of the tube closest to you would have light reflecting perpendicular to your face, but the portion of the tube on the sides would have light reflecting towards you, so the only light one would see would come from around the black core
    the lighting system would need light to be fed directly into the polycarbonate blade instead of the core

u would therefore see a black core surrounded by two strips of light
    Attached Images Attached Images

No alreadyrogue. What you are saying is incorrect. It looks correct on your diagram because you only show a handful of the angles that your "microcrystals" are reflecting the light to (btw, what material specifically are you talking about, or are you just making something up?). The truth is that the light would be reflected in a nearly infinite number of angles BETWEEN those angles, and so while you would not be seeing the light that actually shines onto the portion of the blade that you are observing, you will STILL be seeing light at all 360 degrees of the blade.

Edit: Also your idea seems to assume that the light is traveling up the sides of the tube. This is not possible. If the light traveled up the tube, it would be redirected long before it illuminated the entire length of the blade. The light in a blade MUST travel unobstructed through the center at angles that will intersect the blade wall.
    Last edited by TimeRender; 07-03-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Unless he means a no-power lightsaber that just uses a specific reflective material. It'd photograph well, at least with flash photography, but there'd be no Off button, as it were.
    It's not supposed to be cheap or easy. It's an ordeal.

But if you're not here to make a light saber the hard way, just follow this guide and stay out of the way.

If you're lost, here's a directory of all the most pertinent threads - it'll save sorting through the rubbish, thank the mods for braving it for us.

If you have a question, there's a solid chance it's answered here. Not too much to ask you to check ONE page for your question before posting, is it?

Well, we finally have a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPqGZHLIeuI

It looks great...when it's turned off. Seriously, I don't know if he put a huge amount of polypropylene film in it, but it's extremely silver.

Turned on, it is basically what I was afraid it would be. Basically two strips of something blocking part of the light, so that at certain angles you get the black core and glowing edges, while at other angles you get a glowing core with black edges. He said the inside is "painted," and that it was really hard to do. I can only imagine he meant he painted the film and then put it in.

If Senti had just posted this flat, with no build-up, I would have thought, "Hey, that's kind of cool. Why not?" But with the long build-up, the talk about selling them, etc., this is frankly disappointing. It is, basically, the equivalent of the "X-ray glasses" they used to sell in the back of comics.

I give it two stars out of five.
    There's always a bigger fish.