Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 3-up Rebel LED saber (Flange IV "DC")

Quote Originally Posted by mihunai View Post
    Awesome blade you got there Nova!
    So... stock optics with a X-Wing style Tri-Rebel? Does it look as good in real life? mTm
    Thanks... but let's see:

* The optics are anything but "stock"... they need to be specially made
    * The Rebel setup and optics were done by Don Close (DO-CLO)
    * It looks MUCH better in "real life", as... the camera sort of "dulls" the flash effect. In my opinion.

Ultimately, the 3-up Rebel is not the "most efficient" optically, but it's certainly still pretty amazing. The flash is fantastic, too.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

woah...that's pretty crazy! I love the blade flaring. The potential to customize light and sound with CF is awesome. Good job!

I love how your cat is strolling by like its no big deal...hahaha
    I noticed that in your other youtubes before.

i like that vibroblade sound. the white flash on clash there was cool.

The white flash was cool, but the video makes it look like the blade went completely white, rather than just a flair under the red. Does the white actually overpower the red so completely?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Eco View Post
    The white flash was cool, but the video makes it look like the blade went completely white, rather than just a flair under the red. Does the white actually overpower the red so completely?
    Yes. You are absolutely right.

In due time (I mention this a bit below), the ability to have the "clash flash" LED blink/flicker during lockup could eventually be added to CF. Probably v5 though.

Regarding how white Rebel overpowers the red... well... X-Wing said it best when he mentioned that... uh... red Rebels are... actually kind of WEAK. I mean... don't EVEN get me wrong. They're nice... but... OK I'm stuttering here, but... you know: once you see the Lux III red... then you expect "oh, ok, TWO Red Rebels should lay the smack down on a silly 'old' Lux III--prepare to be OWNED, Lux III!!!"... then you light 'em up. But... NO. It's about equal. Which is odd. To me. Maybe it's an optics thing, but... STILL!! WTH... *grrowll*

Whatever though... putting all THAT aside... then you go to your GREEN REBELS, and it's like a completely fluke-in' freakin' different story...!!! Sooooo much brighter, and the white flash will generally make it more of a lime green (although on camera it probably would look solely 'white').

...I don't know WHY the reds "suck" when compared to the green counterparts.. but, here we are today. Maybe it's akin to the fact that we have Lux V green & blues being WAY better than Lux IIIs and K2s (brightness-wise)... and so... Green Rebels are > than Red Rebels??!

*SIGH*
    I dunno. It just confuses me sometimes, plus you have the way cameras "do weird things" and the ambient light... and... and I just don't even care anymore, lol. The whole lumens thing and new LED types and lighting situation X vs. Y and camera A & B... it all drives me bloody *BONKERS* these days... :P

I'm just doing what I can to keep "pressing forward" and testing weird things. While mixing sounds. While trying to get more momentum for BOP III. While doing backflips. And teaching classes. And fencing? And planning the wedding (Oh, snap! Work to do!!!)

And somewhere in there I will eat and/or sleep (but not both).... ...
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)

Wow ur new saber is so awsome! Grats to u!
    Iam happy that u realize the vibroblade-font, for that i asked u a few months ago
    Now i hope i´m able to get one CF from the new batch
    Last edited by Cazpa Veencent; 10-05-2009 at 03:14 AM.

Clap, Clap, Clap!
    J.
    TK/TB/ID 8286
    501st Pathfinders Lancer
    Carolina Garrison- 501st Legion
    Blue Ridge Base- Rebel Legion
    BlackDOG across the SW forums galaxy......

I suspect there's a technological reason why the reds are quite typical. There's many variations of Greens and Blues and Whites, but the only two options for Red are Lux III and P4. I think there's some sort of a challenge to producing the red spectrum of light from an LED.

I support this theory with a similar look at "Yellow" LEDs. Yellow is still on the 'warm' end of the spectrum, but most LEDs have trouble producing a clearly yellow hue, they're usually more orange or amber.

Which reminds me, Nova. When you invert the saber in the video, and mention a changing pitch, is that one of the functions of the CF?
    "You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing."
    -Benjamin Franklin

I suspect there's a technological reason why the reds are quite typical. There's many variations of Greens and Blues and Whites, but the only two options for Red are Lux III and P4. I think there's some sort of a challenge to producing the red spectrum of light from an LED.
    You're certainly right to some degree. Here's a little bit about it:

MATERIALS

The blue, royal blue, white, cyan, and green are made of Indium Gallium Nitride (InGaN).

Red, red-orange, and amber are made of Aluminum Indium Gallium Phosphide (AlInGaP).

Now, this is what I know about LUXEON LEDs... and it doesn't mean the phosphor setups that allow colors on other LEDs are not different with their chemistry.

Which reminds me, Nova. When you invert the saber in the video, and mention a changing pitch, is that one of the functions of the CF?
    Yes... this is one or more of the parameters "dyshft" and "shft". Respectively, one allows for pitch shifting for swings (and possibly clashes) based on the speed of the actions... and the other is simply the "hum" sound shifting to the orientation of the saber.

On certain fonts--it won't be appropriate at all... and on others... only a small bit of shift will work well.

One of the upcoming fonts on the CD#2 (ResBlade) is meant to get a "heavy dose" of shifting... but... it remains to be seen if it will be effective/work well. I don't know yet... but I hope so!

And on the other hand... the Episode IV Re-Mastered font will NOT be as nice with most any shifting on the hum. So... it's all about what sounds best.