Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 10w Seoul P7

Fortunately a 'daylight saber' doesnt need to "rival the sun" or be "more powerful than the sun" for several reasons:

1. We arent going to be holding up a saber directly in front of the sun itself to look at [which would be foolish and dangerous] so the sun itself does not need to be "rival[led]"...only reflected-sunLIT backgrounds eh?

2. The sun is fortunately 8 light minutes/93 million miles away so its brightness is greatly attenuated by the inverse square law by the time it gets to us...therefore a daylight saber doesnt need to be "more powerful" than the sun to be seen emitting light...if THAT was necessary the only EMISSIVE light sources that could be seen on Earth in daylight would be H-Bombs lol.

3. Jumbotrons, vehicle headlights and commercial signage are all visible in daylight WITHOUT need to "blow out your city's power grid" otherwise the Las Vegas strip, Times Square, or here in Toronto "Honest Eds" [Google it lol] wouldnt be visible except at night.

You are right that daylight sabers represent a technical challenge and we arent 'there' yet but there is no insuperable law-of-physics barrier to them as you seem to be suggesting only R&D time/expense/engineering difficulty...which should be overcome as more efficient light source technology evolves in time.

From what I've been able to gather from daylight lighting specs, a daylight visible saber should require something on the order of 2000 lumens [1650 lumens = 100W incandescent which is visible in daylight - unless held up in front of the sun to "rival" it strawman argument lol]...you are right we can't produce that with a battery powered saber in a standard size hilt NOW, but lets look at it more closely: IF we had a quad die under one dome LED each 'emitter' die would have to produce 500 lumens to be daylight visible...we are halfway there with a U-bin P4 white so its not SO far off though obviously more so for certain colours like blue...WHEN we can double-to-octuple efficiencies depending on colour a daylight saber should be possible with LEDs [but who says LEDs are going to be the most efficient light sources forever anyway?] using similar power requirements as now [or if we had a power breakthrough like room temperature superconductors but THAT would make REAL lightsabers possible so lets fuggedaboud better batteries as the solution]...advanced heatsinking and active cooling will almost certainly be necessary yes but thats just engineering not a physics 'barrier' to daylight sabers.

Engineering is a matter of time and expense [R&D] not possibility or "plausible or just plain busted Mythbusters style".

*paraphrased in best Dionne Warwick singing impression*

Do I know the way to San "NO-WAY-JOSE"...???

Not YET...but that doesnt mean there is NO way to ever get there.

So I wait, patiently.

Meanwhile I'll enjoy the sabers we CAN make now, until they reach my original purpose.

But I'm afraid I'm always going to be what someone called a "brightness *ho**" until then.

Banned Sith Lord

man you have to much stuff on your mind...

Banned Sith Lord

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoonbass View Post
    man you have to much stuff on your mind...

what you could do is make a huge hilt and spend about 250 bucks on a big enough battery pack to fit inside that puts out about 45 volts and 10000 mah so you could power a 40 watt white LED, get 2400 lumens and color filter on it and you have a saber that could blotch out the sun. lol.

but thats not even practical... i dunno someone might do it

I too like my sabers to be very bright. For my uses, they need to at least last 1 hour if not more. If I can get 2-4 hours of runtime, I'm happy. But if that sacrifices brightness, I normally push more power to get a brighter blade. Most people I duel with don't go for longer then 30 min, and the brighter the more fun. That's how I like mine. Not that anybody else is wrong.

To really have a saber that "looks bright" in broad daylight will need MUCH more then 2000 lumens I think. At 2000 lumens you can probably see it, but it would NOT be "bright". Remember that brightness comes with the contrast of the light your saber is putting out, compared to the light around it. A lit saber in a dark room easily has a high contrast of light output. At 2000 lumens you can "see it" which is like turning your normal saber on at 30mA of current in a dark room. It's... visable... But even in the Dark room you need up to 1000mA to make it "bright".

Another thing to keep in mind with your comparison, the 100watt light bulb is pushing out all that light in the very small surface area of the light bulb. If all that light was stretched into a 32" long, 1" round lightsaber tube it would NOT be as bright anymore because the (light density)/(surface area) ratio is much worse. The same AMOUNT of light stretched over a LARGER surface area results in the light not appearing so bright anymore.

I'm not going to say it's not possible, technology has yeilded some amazing things in the last 30 years. But right now it seems a ways out still if even possible in our lifetime.
    Last edited by Eandori; 10-10-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added the note about light density
    Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
    - Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!