Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 10w Seoul P7

Default 10w Seoul P7

Hope this is in the right spot. If not, feel free to beat me LM

I was doing a little looking around and found this LED here. I am most definitely not the most knowledgeable on here so I figured I would throw this out there for discussion among those of you who actually know something...

As you can see, it is an impressive 900 lumens with a forward voltage of 3.6?

I understand that others have done 10 watt sabers (DJ for instance ) so my question is not really can it be done. It is more of an "Is it plausible?" question. I guess im confused on how the forward voltage on this can only be .1 less than a Lux III even though the mA is 2800. What would you have to do to power this beast of an LED and is it worth it? I ask this based on a few things.

Power supply. Will the power required by this fit realistically into your "typical" saber hilt?
    Plausible Cooling Solution I imgaine this would get VERY hot. Once again, this must take up quite a chunk of real-estate in a saber for heat sinking options. I found this site here that sells it with a heat sink and it looks small...
    Lumens How much of a vsible difference will this make in a saber? We all want a brighter saber, but is this even a viable option?

Thanks again for your input guys, feel free to point me to any topics I may have missed discussing these points.
    Last edited by Shadar Al'Niende; 09-27-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    Every time Tim ships an order... an angel gets its wings

"Just get one and go nuts, that's how this hobby works. Get stuff. Go nuts. Period." ~FenderBender~

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, for starters, that is only the LED- it would need to be mounted on a star.

2800ma is an INSANE amount of current- I don't think you would get very good run time on that amount of current...

It would be neat but some experimenting would need to be done. Someone with money...
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

3 2600mah AA NihM's in series would get you the the 3.6v you would need at slightly less current of 200 ma only which should get you about 45 min. run time. You could series-parallel 6 batts to get 5200mah, theoretically giving you 1.5 hrs. run time.

Here is a good cheap supplier for the P7:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12721
    Last edited by Kal El Rah; 09-27-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

just FYI, even underdriven at 1.5A, it's freaking ungodly blindingly bright. I would hate to see a properly driven or overdriven P7 without some eye protection on... good luck and just be careful!
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I don't quite understand why there's a such quest for ever blindingly bright sabers. The "real" lightsabers weren't so bright you couldn't look at the blades. Why have sabers that you need welding goggles to look at?

Do you guys want blades that can be seen in the daylight?

Or are you all compensating for something?
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 09-28-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Last statement J-Lo so LOLOLOLOL
    I'M JUST A SPY(LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by jedi-loreen View Post
    i don't quite understand why there's a such quest for ever blindingly bright sabers...

...do you guys want blades that can be seen in the daylight?

yes!!!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Only 900 lumens? I am waiting for a LED with 2000 lumens to come out. LOL

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Banned Sith Lord

hey wade: here ya go http://www.ledengin.com/led_products.htm check out the 40 WATT LED... YYEEEEAAAAYYYAAAAA 2400 figgin lummens!!!! 6you could light up a football field!

and shadar whats wrong with ten watter? at least MINE is on a star.

On almost all of my sabers I run my LED's at about half of their rated current and get fantastic results. I'm all for underdriving LED's and this way you get less heat, better battery life and better overall LED life.
    Follow Your Bliss